Ch24: About His Past

"They're so cute," I mutter under my breath in a low whisper, my hands clutching the door frame.

Jimin stands behind me, cooing at the sight, too. After announcing the sleepover we were having, Jungkook was more than happy, because that meant he'd stay more with his newly found friend.

Taehyung didn't support the idea, but I doubted that when Jungkook sneaked into his room at night to sleep beside him and Taehyung didn't protest and pretended to be asleep, even though I knew very well he was awake at the time.

"I feel like a proud parent," Jimin whispers, making me nod in agreement as we watch the two hybrids cuddling. I finally step back, slowly shutting the door and turning around.

"It's getting late, we should go to sleep," I say, heading to my bedroom, Jimin following.

I stop at the doorway and turn to him. "Where do you think you're going? You're sleeping on the couch."

He chuckles. "I know, but I don't feel sleepy. Let's talk."

He passes me and walks into my bedroom, blobbing himself on my bed. I sit down beside him and let out a tired sigh.

"Tell me, Seol," He starts, laying on his side and supporting his head with his hand, his elbow digging in the mattress. "How is it going with Taehyung?"

I hum. "Well, I think I'm doing great. Everything's going as planned and I believe I'd do it. I think Taehyung trusts me, and even though he's still classified as a Code Red, I don't think thatㅡ"

"I don't mean the project," Jimin cuts me off, and I shut up, waiting for him to continue.

"I mean you and Taehyung," He continues. "The relation between you guys."

"We're good friends," I reply.

He lets out a scoff, raising an eyebrow. "Really? Just friends?"

"What do you mean by that?" I cross my arms. "Yes, we're just friends."

A smirk plays on Jimin's face and he wiggles his eyebrows playfully, making me roll my eyes.

"Alright," He says. "Code Reds aren't born like that, but it's what they go through that makes them like that, am I right?"

I nod.

"So what did Taehyung go through?" He asks. "I mean, did you ask him about his past?"

I lean back on the bed's headboard, staring at the ceiling. "Not really. I just know he had four previous guardians, and the most recent ones were a middle-aged couple. He injured the man for an unknown reason and so he was taken to the Code Red Shelter in Deagu."

"He attacked three guards there," I go on. "They all went to the hospital, and one was in the ICU. After that incident, they moved him here, at the Code Red Shelter in Seoul because it's much stricter and has better security. This is where I adopted him from."

"Maybe you should talk to him about it," Jimin suggests, now laying on his back. "It might get you closer. Taehyung seems like a nice guy, even though he almost killed me once."

I let out a laugh, and Jimin glares at me, making me laugh even harder.

"You're a great friend," He sulks as he gets up, putting his feet on the ground. "I'll go and sleep. Good night."

"Good night, Chim," I say, making him stop at the door to give me a small smile. He opens the door and leaves, shutting it behind him.

---

As her voice echoes through the small room, as her blood-curdling howl speaks of all her pain and misery, and as she looks up, I see her face, and my eyes widen.

It's me.

I gasp for air, my eyes wide open as I look up at the dark ceiling of my bedroom. I sit up on the bed slowly, immediately turning on the lamp on the night stand.

I look down at my shivering hands, curling them into fists to stop the shaking. I let out a deep breath, the same dream playing in my head. This time, however, the dream is a little blurrier, and the voice of the unknown man was much more distant.

The bedroom door squeaks open, and I turn my head to find Taehyung standing, staring at me silently.

"Did I scream?" Is the first question I ask.

He shakes his head, walking in the room and shutting the door behind him. "I heard you panting loudly. No one else heard you though; Jungkook is dead asleep and Jimin wouldn't hear it."

I gulp, fiddling with the blanket. "I'm fine. You can go back to your bedroom."

He doesn't reply, and heads towards me, sitting on the bed.

"Is it the same dream?" He asks and I nod my head in response.

"Do you want me to stay?"

I shrug at the question, and he scoots closer, sitting right beside me and leaning back. None of us say anything for a while, and it falls very silent. I listen to our steady breaths, staring into darkness.

"Taehyung," I call and he hums.

"Why don't you like it when I call you Tae?" I ask, remembering Jimin's words from earlier.

Taehyung doesn't reply, and I start thinking whether it was okay to ask about it or not. At some point, I doubt he's even awake, but then he shifts slowly, letting out a sigh.

"Do you really want to know?"

"I'm just curious," I say. "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it, I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"No, it's alright, I'll tell you."