Ch17: This Challenge

So even when he slowly opens his eyes and stares at me, I continue, pretending I don't know he's awake.

It's silent for a while, and for a mere second, I think he'd let me get closer to him.

This thought is shattered, whatsoever, when his hand grips onto my wrist tightly, and I feel my skin burning under his.

I wince, my face scrunching in pain when he twists his hand, making my skin and bones burn even more.

"Taeㅡ"

"Just because I let you close to me," He says, sitting up. "Doesn't give you the right to touch me like this."

His eyes stay in mine for a few seconds, and I try to pull my hand away but to no avail; his grip keeps on getting tighter.

"Maybe I was nice to you once or twice," He continues. "But you need to remember who you are, and what I am. Did you forget I'm a code red? Do you remember what that means? I could end you whenever I want to."

"But you didn't," I say, my voice so low I doubt he hears it, but his glare assures me he did.

His grip tightens again even though I thought it wouldn't get any tighter, and the pain makes my eyes sting. "My handㅡ"

"Right," He cuts me off. "I didn't. But who told you this means I will not?"

My eyes tear up, feeling as if my bones were crushing. "Please let goㅡ"

"You think we're friends now? It's my fault, anyway. Shouldn't've let an idiot like you think you were actually something to me."

"Taehyungㅡ"

"You're not allowed to do this, understand?"

"Iㅡ"

"Understand?!" He growls, and I violently nod, looking down to hide my tears.

It's this same feeling, when I realize he really is someone dangerous. Just like the time he strangled me, I know I can't save myself, I have no one to save me, and I believe he would hurt me.

All the confidence I had when I was playing with his hair washes away, and I feel vulnerable under his intense gaze, and I hate that I do.

And I hate anyone who makes me feel that way. I hate threats. And he is a threat.

I don't want to plead him to let me go, but the pain is unbearable. I never thought just a grip would hurt that much. I purse my lips to keep my mouth shut, to not plead him because I did it once and I hated it, to not let him know I'm crying because of him.

So I silently wait, but he doesn't seem to be letting go anytime soon. Whether he forgot that he's hurting me, or that he doesn't want to stop hurting me, I can't be sure, because I don't want to look up at him.

I sniff once, and shut my eyes tight, knowing I probably screwed and let him know I'm crying.

His grip loosens slowly, and I let out a sigh of relief, now sure that he knows I'm crying.

When his grip is loose enough, I slowly pull back my shaking hand, hugging it as if afraid I'll lose it. I see the red marks that still burn slowly turning purple.

"You're not crying, are you?" He asks, and for a moment I believe his voice softens.

But no, no way it did.

I look up, and I know it didn't, I was imagining, because there's this devilish smirk on his face.

"Pathetic," He scoffs.

"Monster," I spit out.

His face immediately changes at the word, and he's glaring no more.

"Typical," He murmurs.

I stand up, and slowly walk up to my bed. I lay down and pull the covers over my head, not wanting to see him now. I pull my hurting wrist close, and wipe away my tears with the other.

I hear the click of the light key, and the room darkens, then the shifting and I know Taehyung is laying down, too.

I hold back sobs, making me feel a lump in my throat, but I try my best to swallow it.

I deeply breathe, again hating how weak I am at the moment, and I think, did I ruin it?

Do I really still want this challenge? Does he still hate me? I thought I did something, but apparently everything I have done went in vain.

What keeps my thought positive, though, that Taehyung's eyes weren't constricted like everytime he tried to hurt me. Instead, they were dilated, and that gave me a little hope I didn't ruin everything.

Just a little.