{18} Sketched Hearts

"i think it's best if you stay away"

I fiddled with the drenched paper in my hands as we walked through the hallways. The note Mrs Black typed out for me had fallen victim to my sweaty hands and was almost about to tear.

The slim nurse had generously excused me for periods one to three and gave Carson and I an early lunch. She also wrote a note excusing Carson since he was accompanying me.

We made our first stop at his locker so he could grab his lunch and then my locker. I wanted to go to my safe wooden bench with a sketchbook and pencil in hand but Carson suggested we go to the Cafeteria.

Usually, I wouldn't but it was still period three so students were seated in their chairs writing down notes for class so the Cafeteria was as empty as a blank canvas.

Now we were trudging silently towards the Cafeteria doors. I didn't want or need to speak and I knew Carson wanted to but for a particular reason, he didn't open his mouth.

We walked side by side as the large hallways stretched before us. It looked so big and spacious when no one was here. When students roamed, I felt so squished and claustrophobic.

"I'm not sure if the Cafeteria workers have started their shifts yet but I'm sure they'll allow us to grab a small thing," Carson acknowledged thoughtfully and I could tell he was looking at me but I refused to give him any attention and only nodded.

I hadn't stepped foot in the cafeteria in years and there was no exaggeration. Carson proceeded to hold open the scratched painted doors, shooting me a heartening smile, in a silent attempt to encourage me to walk through.

The warm air hit my face immediately, likely from the heated shelves of food that had already been made and left out ready for students to purchase.

It felt humid yet so uncluttered and free. The smell of hot food and a scent of wood drowned my nose as I breathed in deeply. The only sound I could hear was the light buzzing noise of the air-conditioning or some sort of kitchen software, perhaps an oven or microwave. If it wasn't empty, the cafeteria would undeniably be brimming with obnoxious talking and laughter.

Circular tables were arranged in an unplanned order, no doubt that students moved them regularly. But there was one table no one could miss; the biggest one in the middle. It was imaginable that they pushed and joined the tables together. That was where the populars sat and no non-popular would dare venture into that territory.

"What time is it?" I asked Carson as I passed him anxiously, toying with the ripped paper in my hand as I glanced around. I need to be out of here by the time the bell rings, there is no way I'll be staying here when everyone else comes.

"Ten to one," he answered, after taking a quick glance at his phone before slipping it effortlessly into his side pocket. The corner of his lips tugged upwards, revealing a tiny dimple I'd never noticed. "Don't worry, you've got plenty of time."