{32} Sketched Hearts

"those are just unnecessary details"

It had only been two weeks and Sam already fit in perfectly. He made new friends quickly and barely spoke to my three friends, which Carson was very grateful for. He only spoke to me when we walked to and from school and there were only a few texts here and there but they were questions about homework.

Sam became popular the moment he stepped in the school. The first day, I stayed by his side and helped him around. Since summer was here, a few girls approached us, wearing tank tops and very revealing shorts or skirts and twirling their hair with manicured nails asking for his name and number.

Sam would let them down every time while I stayed invisible behind him. This happened throughout the whole day and surprisingly Alison was nowhere in sight. I thought she'd be the first one to greet Sam.

Despite the rocky start, Sam became accustomed to the classes and eventually didn't need my help. Again, he shared most of the same classes so we spoke often in the first week but in the second week, he drifted away with his new friends.
'The new boy' rumours were still swimming around and somehow Sam managed to stay afloat. If I were in his position, I would have drowned on the first day.

Soon school returned to its normal routine, including my lunches with the three, since Sam ate with his other friends.

And I could finally say that I like Carson.

Every single time I saw Carson, my hands shook and became sweaty. My nervous breakdown routine occurred more and more often each day and my blood would turn extra warm.
When I told May this, she actually shrieked and jumped on me. And she was almost two heads taller than me so she literally tackled me to the floor.

It was now almost three thirty and I was waiting impatiently inside the school doors for Sam. I would usually sit outside, but with the unlucky weather, I didn't want to risk getting wet. Of course I had to walk home in this  weather and I forgot my umbrella but Sam reassured that we could use his. The bell rang nearly fifteen or twenty minutes ago and he hasn't come out yet. He messaged me saying he would be a bit late because he had to return a book to the library.
I huffed, deciding that my legs were too tired and plopped myself downwards on the steps.

"Hey, Hermosa."

I didn't even need to look behind me to know who it was.

"Carson," I acknowledged, turning my head around to greet him.

I hadn't seen him all day because he was part of a sports group which was organising something in a few weeks so there was a full day meeting. He wore a plain black hoodie with a uniformed logo of the sports group and black basketball shorts paired with his Nike laced up sport shoes.
He did the right thing wearing a hoodie, I didn't think it would be too cold today so I wore high waisted jean shorts and a simple baby pink t-shirt with a pink rose sewn in the top right corner.