{30} Sketched Hearts

"is what you call jealousy"

The car ride was awkward and an eerily silence drifted around the claustrophobic car air. Carson didn't say anything while he drove, only staring at the small town roads. I usually sit in the passenger seat but I sat with Sam that time.

"Do you have social media?" Carson surprisingly asked. Since he was so tense, I didn't think he would be the one to start a conversation.

Sam shook his head. "No. It's distracting."

"What about a phone number? You must have that," he questioned again, almost in a mocking tone.

"Yes, that I do have," Sam grinned and if he was hurt by Carson's earlier remark, he hid it well.

The exchanged numbers by swapping phones while I felt like the wall in between the two boys. Either the two boys were blind or I was being incredibly observant today.

"Hermosa, do you want his number too?" Carson queried, handing me his phone. "You know the passcode."

I took it quietly, my slippery fingers almost dropping the phone. The way he said that in a strange tone made me nervous. Why was he acting that way? I'd never heard his voice so tense and deep.

I typed in Carson's passcode and I copied the number on to my phone and returned it back to Carson, whose eyes were narrowed and looking straight. I released my tense from my phone, letting them both drop into my lap. I didn't dare look to my left where Sam was sitting and I didn't want to look at Carson either so I kept my eyes downwards at my new shoes.

My lip eventually became dotted with my teeth marks and I then realised that my hands had created a lake so I wiped them on my favourite jeans. Then awareness flooded through my veins and I felt my heart hammering faster and faster and heat flowed up my neck.

I had never ever sat in a car with a boy before, let alone two. Two boys. How things had changed. One minute I was invisible and the next I've got friends. Friends. I inwardly laugh at this peculiar madness. I, Iris Martin had friends. It was so impossible that my brain couldn't actually process it.

Suddenly, I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. Peering down at it, I saw a message on the lock screen from Sam. My brows creased and peaked at Sam with confusion. Sam was right next to me, why was he messaging me? Did he want to check if he had the right number? Sam nodded at my phone and I shook my head, completely baffled. He nodded at my phone again more vigorously and then I understood his motivation, Read the message.

I picked up my phone, unlocking it and clicking on to his name. It read, I'm not stupid, I know what Hermosa means. Are you sure he's not your boyfriend? He's clearly marking his territory.

I furrowed my brows at Sam, giving him a partially mortified and confound expression, and mouthed 'No'.

Sam just nodded his head and turned to look out the window.