{35} Sketched Hearts

"don't thank me just yet"

My hands were coated in a thick layer of sweat and I was afraid that I would drop my phone on to my face. My breathing was rapid and my heart was louder than an elephant stomping up the stairs. I was lying on my back with my head rested on a large marshmallow-like pillow and with my phone in the air above my face.

It was only twelve past six in the morning and I'd spent the last twenty minutes trying to type up a draft. I know it was a horrible thing to do but I couldn't say no to his face. My words would be chained and would come out as stutters.

Now there was another chain restraining me back from pressing send.

Hey Sam,
I thought about your offer and I'm really sorry but I can't right now. Exams are commencing and it will be too hard for me to focus. I'm really sorry.

It was a short message but that was all I needed to say.

I leaked an unsteady breath and slowly pressed my thumb onto the send button.

After a second, I heard the sound of the message being sent and quickly exited the app. I swiftly clicked on to instagram and scrolled distracted through my feed; waiting for his reply.

Everything on the phone screen was a blur until a post of Carson appeared.
It was a mirror selfie with his hair wet and water beads trailing down his bare chest. In one hand was his phone and in the other was a flower; an iris. His eyes sparkled with exhilaration and I realised that he was wearing the same sport shorts as the other day.

My breathing constricted and my chest tightened when I saw the caption.

Danced in the rain with a beautiful flower.

A thunderous tornado had struck my closet, leaving all sorts of clothes, from summer shorts to winter coats and even underwear draped across floors and open drawers

A thunderous tornado had struck my closet, leaving all sorts of clothes, from summer shorts to winter coats and even underwear draped across floors and open drawers. This tornado was named specifically after May who was still frantically digging into a pile of skirts I'd never seen or touched before.

Mother and father had left to visit a friend's house since May was here and able to help me get ready. Apparently her friend was sick or something and she didn't elaborate. I don't think it was serious though.