{34} Sketched Hearts

"how do you know my type?"

I earned a million questions from my mother as to why I came home at five to six, drenched in rain from head to toe, with an extra hoodie. My simple and innocent answer was 'I didn't have an umbrella'. The moment those words passed through my mouth, I almost died of panic attack after realising I had lied again. Then after that, I breathed in a sigh, realising I actually didn't have an umbrella, so it was the partial truth. I just left out a lot of 'unnecessary details' as Carson would say.

Mother only frowned and ordered me to shower immediately. I didn't take my luck for granted and scurried off, letting a mask of disbelief slip on to my face once my mother was out of sight. I can't believed I lied again. I never lie and now it was becoming a usual habit.

After showering, I threw my dirty clothes into the laundry basket along with Carson's hoodie, before pursing my lips thoughtfully and pulling it back out. I'll wash it myself later. Mother had saw me in it, but she didn't get a closer look, but if she washes it, she will definitely tell that it was a boy's hoodie. I could say that it was Jett's because he stays at May's house quite often but I don't want to lie again.

More questions came flying in at the dinner table.

Father was there too, but he sat there and didn't say anything because mother had shot him a look saying 'I'll tell you later'.

"Why didn't May drop you off?" Mother asked, gently putting her fork down on to the plate, keeping her eyes on me the whole time.

"Her mother was using the car so she had no form of transportation," I gulped before answering, remembering once, that she told me her mother often went to work during this time at a nearby cafe.

"How does she get to school then?" Mother leaned forward, challenging me.

I put my fork down too, placing my hands in my lap. "Her boyfriend takes her."

"Couldn't you have borrowed an umbrella?" Mother raised her eyebrows intently at me.

I shook my head. "It wasn't raining when I left the house."

"Whose hoodie was that?"

I internally winced, afraid this question would come and it did, "...It was Jett's. He's May's boyfriend. It was just lying around in her house and she let me borrow it."

Mother nodded sceptically before picking up her fork and returned to eating. I let out a soft breath and did the same.

She swallowed her food before adding seriously. "Make sure to return that hoodie."

I nodded, gulping down a sip of water.

That was Thursday night dinner so we still had one day left of school until the weekend. A nonexistent switch was turned on inside my brain when I started hanging out with friends. It turned on a negative side of me; a rebel side. First I was lying and now I didn't want to go to school.
I knew it was educational but it was just plain boring. And I hadn't even touched my sketch book in a month or even two. It was my safety net and now I've started trusting my friends to hold the net in case I fell. I had found something that was more enjoyable than sketching, which I'd never thought would happen.