{36} Sketched Hearts

"what prize do you want?"

Carson stood there with his hands in his pockets. I wasn't sure whether May's 'surprise' was good or bad.

"What are you d-doing here?" I stuttered stupidly, holding the door with my left hand. My heart almost lurched out of my chest out of pure shock and it wanted to run out the door.

Never in my life had I ever expected this situation to come. I was uncomfortable with a few unknown glances and glares in my direction in the hallways at school when people bumped into me but this was a whole new level I never thought I would experience.

Carson's hawk-eyed glaze travelled up and down like an elevator built in a twenty storey stone building. Just like that building, Carson's eyes were hard and unreadable. The building was extremely tall stood out amongst the other small city structures and that made me nervous. Carson directed his whole attention to me and he definitely wasn't passing by in the hallways this time.

I'd never thought the most popular boy would ever utter a word to me and yet he flirted with me. I'd never thought the most popular boy would become my friend and yet he did. And I'd never, ever, ever, ever thought the most popular boy would be standing at my front door.

Carson bore black vans on his feet, light tan khaki shorts and a thin grey t-shirt stretched over his chest. He gave a lopsided grin and threaded his fingers through his light hair. "I'm here to escort you to the carnival." 

"Why? I can walk."

"Do you really want to walk?" He asked rhetorically with a confident tone.

I smiled sheepishly and shook my head. "No."

"Then let's go." Carson grabbed my hand and pulled me gently towards his car. "Nice shorts, by the way." A fuzzy feeling poured onto me when he touched me and electrical heat spread up my neck. I should've pulled my hand back because it was all warm and sweaty but Carson held onto it very tightly.

"What about Sam?" I questioned, gesturing to the house next door. He said he was coming.

"I'm here to escort you and only you."

I nodded, biting my lip. "Right."

A couple minutes later, Carson pulled into the school car park.

I went to open the door but Carson insisted he did it for me. So believe it or not, even that simple act of courtesy felt like I was entering the red carpet out of a limo.

The brown haired boy shut the door after me and held out his hand. "Shall we?"

I nodded silently and smiled.

The sky was a vibrant blue with a few scattered clouds wandering pointlessly, the golden ball sat in the sky unharmed and shone its rays down upon the Earth, causing the warm air to prickle my skin. In the distance, I could see balloons, colourful tents, the ginormous ferris wheel. I could hear the echoing shouts of students and the organisers who were still trying to set up everything.