14| Ghosted

Dedicated to NkechiAjogwu You're a godsend ♥

STEPHANIE

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I opened my eyes to realize I was on a hospital bed. I gently stepped out of the bed to meet the greatest shock of my life... Myself.

I was lying on the bed.

This is... Impossible!

How I'm I here and there?

The door immediately swung up revealing mummy's face. She looked like she had been crying.

"mommy! mommy!" she didn't notice me. Strange.

She walked past me to the bed and started caressing the other...me.

I called her so many times but she couldn't see me, and when I tried touching her, my hand went through.

She cried and sobbed... I started crying too. I'm a ghost...

Joshua walked in. He looked different. He he'd grown beards. That's weird...

"mommy, you can't keep doing this to yourself. She'll be fine soon" Josh tried consoling mum.

"That's what everyone says but it has been more than a year now and she's still in a comma"

Oh my God... I've been in a comma for more than a year.

"Joshua! Joshua!" I called out but he didn't seem to hear me.
I tried everything I could but they couldn't see me.

"This is all Isabella's fault" Josh said

"I'll make sure that stupid girl stays in jail" mom added.

Stays in jail...

Does it mean Isabella is behind bars?

"Her parents are trying to get her out" Josh said

"I'll make sure that doesn't happen as soon as we get back to Nigeria" mom assured

"So we're finally leaving the US?"

"Just for awhile. We can't leave Steph here for a long time" mom replied

A white man walked in. I guess he was the doctor but he wasn't wearing a coat.

"Oh doc, it's good you're here. My son and I will be out of the country for a few days and I wanted to be sure my daughter is in good hands" mom stood up to face the doctor.

"Of course. But we have one problem... "

"what?" mom and Josh asked in unison.

"Stephanie was transferred here a year ago and since then, there hasn't been any improvement. Stephanie can't even breathe on her own.... "

"What are you trying to say Doc?" mom cut him off

"The only thing keeping her alive are these machines. I think it's time to say goodbye" the doctor said with his American accent.

"We came here all the way from Nigeria because I thought you would give her the best treatment and here you are telling me this crap!" moms voice was shaky. She was going to break down in tears any second.

"We can't do what you're asking of us Doc. You're asking us to kill her" Josh fought back the tears escaping his eyes.

"you're only making things worse for your sister. It's not advisable to keep her this way" the doctor said

"You're not removing that oxygen mask or turning off that machine till my daughter wakes up. Do I make myself clear?" mom was pointing at the doctor with anger.

The doctor let out a sigh before nodding his head "yes ma'am". He left without another word being said and mom burst into tears immediately. Josh hugged her tight as tears rolled down his cheeks "everything will be okay mom"

This was all my fault, not Isabella's, not Joshua's. It was all me!

All my life, all I ever wanted was to belong. To be popular like Isabella and her clique. Back then, I used to admire Isabella, Sandra, Daniel and Tayo. They were rebellious and notorious but they were inseparably popular. They threw most of the parties, got invited to most of the parties. They were elites.

I tried befriending Isabella but all she did was bully me and make fun of me. Shoved my head in toilets, beat me up, insult me, made me hate myself. She made me hate the world.

But one night changed it all, just one night.

I was there. I know why Isabella Nwankwo left Lagos State last year. Something terrible happened, something I could have stopped from happening but I let my anger and hatred get the best of me and Isabella ended up getting hurt.

After that night, I never thought I'd see Isabella again. During the time she was gone, Josh came back from the UK where he stayed with my dad. I loosed weight, stopped wearing glasses and I instantly became popular because my twin brother looked like a movie star.
Unfortunately, Isabella returned and couldn't remember me. With the hatred I had for her, I decided to use Joshua to break her heart.

I told Josh everything she did to me in the past and he agreed. He started dating her. But what I didn't expect was that he was going to fall for her. Joshua fell in love with Isabella.

He told me that he couldn't go ahead with our plan anymore but I didn't agree. And that's why I told her everything at the wedding, so that she'd break up with Josh and end up hurt too.

Joshua might be angry with Isabella for putting me in this condition but deep down I know he loves her sincerely.

That's why I must wake up. I must get Josh and Bella back together.

I must get Isabella Nwankwo out of jail.

Hello!
I want to thank everyone who has been commenting and voting on this book, I really appreciate it.
So I just wanted to make something clear, this book is not completely all about Isabella. But she is the main character, so be expecting other characters point of views like Sandra, Daniel, Joshua etc.
Keep voting and share. Thanks a bunch guys 😘