42| Mr. Stevens and His Character

Isabella

"So you're really doing this?" he asked me looking disappointed.

"I'm really sorry, Chase" he took the ring from me and I wiped the tears that streamed down my eyes. I knew that Chase was a good person with good intentions but I didn't want to make the mistake of my life by marrying someone I didn't love.

When Chase had proposed the previous year, I accepted because I thought I'd fallen in love. I though he was my happy ever after but I was wrong and seeing Josh again made me realize that. In as much as I knew there was no hope for a future for Josh and I, I still couldn't marry Josh.

"This is not over Bella" he said. "Mark my words, if I can't have you, no one will" he stormed out of my house and slammed the door. I could tell he was hurt but I didn't know what he meant by what he said.

The phone rang, bringing me out of my thoughts. I picked it up from the center table and realised it was Harry calling.

"Are you at the airport now?" he asked.

I cleared my throat and replied, "Not yet"

"Okay, well, safe trip" he paused, "And please don't ruin the whole thing. I know you and this Josh guy have history..."

"I will behave myself, don't worry" I assured Harry.

"You better" he said, "Call me once you get to New York"

"Okay, bye" I said before hanging up. "Stacy! Get my suitcase" I instructed the cleaner.

It didn't take long before the car Josh had sent to pick me up arrived and I intentionally took my time before going outside and getting into the car.

___________________

Josh's POV

"Remember, you have to surprise her everyday. Isabella is someone likes grand gestures" Stephanie instructed me over the phone.

"What do you mean by surprise her?" I asked with a chuckle. "This is a business trip not a honeymoon"

"I thought the reason why you asked her to be the model for the company was so you could get close to her?" Steph asked.

"That was part of the reason, I guess"

"Good. So this is your chance. Just the two of you, in New York City. There's no better place to fall in love" Stephanie said making the both of us laugh.

"Fine, I hear you. I have to go now. I don't want to miss my flight"

"Okay, bye" she said before hanging up. I shook my head in amusement before pressing the door bell.

One of the maids opened the door and I walked in immediately without saying anything. Amanda was seated in the sitting room and she stood up as soon as she saw me. Without sparing her a glance I walked swiftly to my bedroom to get what I came for.

"Josh, Josh" she called out while following me into the bedroom. "Where have you been? Your mom and I have been worried sick" I didn't say anything and she decided to continue blabbing, "I heard you got into a fight with Isabella's fiance, what happened?"

I entered my bedroom and went straight to my bedside drawers. I searched them all but my passport was nowhere to be seen.
"...I told you Isabella is just bad luck. Anything she touches, she destroys" Amanda kept talking while I turned the room upside down in search of my passport but I still couldn't find it.

"Where is my passport?" I turned to Amanda who was finally silent.

"And how am I supposed to know?" she answered my question with another question only making me much more frustrated than I already was.

"Amanda, don't play games with me. I know you hid my passport so please go and get it now'' I instructed her but she only gave me a dirty look.

"I don't have your fucking passport Josh" he snapped at me. "And what do you even need it for? You want to escape to God knows where with that bitch right?!" now she was beginning to raise her voice and I didn't like it.

"Who are you calling a bitch?" I asked her, "You know what, I don't even have time for this, I need my passport please"

"I don't have your passport and if you can't find it then you're not going anywhere" Amanda replied. "I'm your fiance for crying out loud!" she raised her fingers and pointed at the finger with an engagement ring I couldn't remember giving her.

"Not until I remember why on earth I proposed to you, consider that engagement invalid. The only wedding that will be happening between us will be the ones you see in your dreams" I spat back, "Get out of my way" I walked out of the bedroom as soon as I remembered that my mom was definitely the person who hid my passport, knowing I'd be travelling that day.

I could hear Amanda shedding crocodile tears while I ransacked my moms room until I found my passport in one of her designers bag. Luckily, mom wasn't home to delay me any further.

_______________

I ran into the airport I as soon as I got there knowing Bella would've been waiting for me for almost an hour already.

I stopped to catch my breath when I got to where she was sitting and waiting patiently. She I'm stood up when she saw me.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" she asked. "Do you know how long I've been waiting here? But of course, you thought I didn't have better things to be doing right?"

"Let me explain-"

"Explain what?!" she didn't let me speak. She looked so angry and beautiful at the same time that I couldn't help but grin. "Oh, so you find this amusing right?"

"No, no..."

"You know what, Mr. Stevens, I'm going home, you can laugh your way to New York alone" she said before picking up her luggage and walking away slowly.

She took a few steps and turned around, "Aren't you going to stop me?"

I simply shrugged with a smirk before saying, "You're the one who's going to go bankrupt soon so as soon as you're done doing shakara, you come let's go"

A/N Hope you enjoyed this chapter.
What do you think will happen in New York?