Part 17

All through the boat ride to the mainland, my mind was occupied with a thousand and one questions about Yale and Nate. How could one hate another so much to the extent of being violent? And why would he ask me to stay away from only him? What was going on?

"Are you okay?" I heard a voice bellow out to me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I lifted my head in the direction from where the voice had come from only to come into contact with Ave.

"Yes I'm fine." I answered, hiding my weariness behind a smile.

"Of course she is fine Ave, look how she is glowing from having sex all the time." Federica said, turning her head to give me a sly look from where she was maning the boat.

I had been astounded at first when I had asked who was taking us to the mainland and she had proudly said herself. Apparently, all three of them knew how to man a boat which was really something.

I quickly averted my gaze as I felt blood rush to my face. At the mention of sex, images of last nights encounter floated through my mind making me more shy than I already was. Ave, Anna and Federica broke out into fits of laughter except for the lady who had been introduced as Lillian, Nate's wife. I raised my gaze up again to look at the ladies and unfortunately my eyes connected with hers, and God was she staring daggers at me. If looks could kill I'm sure I'd be six feet under by now.

Looking away from her uncomfortable gaze, I fixed my eyes on my phone pretending to be extremely busy with it. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ave come sit next to me and draw close.

"So......what happened to Ilario's hand?" She asked in a hush tone and I could barely hear her above the noise of the boat on the open water.

"Ummm....he....ahhh..." I stuttered, not knowing what to say. I didn't know if it was my place to spill out what had happened or the events that led to it. If Yale himself hadn't answered when he was asked earlier at breakfast, who was I to tell? I thought to myself.

"He what?" She asked again.

"He ahhh had an ahhh accident." I managed to lie hoping beyond anything she wouldn't probe further.

"What kind of accident?" She questioned further.

"Ave, lasciala da sola(leave her alone)" I heard Federica shout out to her, and that started off an exchange of words in Italian, diverting her attention from me.

The rest of the boat ride was spent with the ladies engaging in chit chats with me listening on, although I had no idea what they were saying. It didn't take long till we were pulling up at the docks of the town Yale and I had visited yesterday.

We all got down with Federica securing the boat, I had no idea why we were here or why they even brought me along but I was looking forward to having some kind of distraction for a moment.

Trailing behind them, we made our way further into the town with the ladies still speaking in Italian and receiving warm greetings from every local they passed. Where they local celebrities or what? I thought to myself as I observed. We soon entered a boutique and an attendant quickly walked up to them to happily greet and fully usher them in.

The attendant, after exchanging a few words with the Benenati ladies left us to go back to her work.

"Come Santa Faye, we need to find you something spectacular for the party tomorrow." Federica said grabbing hold of my hand with a huge smile on her face.