Part 30

Wiping the tears off my face I freed myself from his warm arms when I realized we weren't alone anymore. I had not planned on breaking down in front of him and I hadn't expected him to comfort me either. Someone calling out my name made me lift up my head towards the direction it was coming from. I couldn't believe it, it was Federica and from the expression on her face, it was clear that she was shocked to see me her, I was surprised myself. He hadn't said anything about her being here, then again why would he.

Yale who was still by my side got to his feet before helping me up, murmuring something underneath his breath, and from the look on his face, it wasn't something pleasant. Ignoring him, I focused my attention to Federica who was still in shock from seeing me again. She hurriedly made her way over to where we stood to engulf me in a hug, I returned the hug glad to see her again.

"It really is you. Oh my God, I can't believe this." She exclaimed, letting go of me to stare for a second before hugging me again.

She gave me a tight squeeze before finally letting go of me to fully take in my not so decent appearance. Her gaze went to Yale with a quirky grin on her face. Wait, what was she thinking? That I slept with Yale or we had done something? I thought to myself with an appalled look on my face.

"It's not what you think." I quickly muttered out pulling the shirt further down to cover my thighs.

My eyes flew upwards to Yale's for support but he just stood, mute, not making any attempts to back me up.

"But I didn't say anything." Federica said, playfully nudging me on my shoulder.

"Right." I whispered out suddenly feeling uncomfortable and really out of place.

"You just don't know how happy I am that you are here. You have no idea how miserable he's been ever since the incident. I'm glad he has finally gotten over it and accepted the fact that he still loves you. I'm guessing you guys are back together then?" She ranted out in one go looking at us expectantly.

"No, never." I blankly asserted taking a step away from Yale's side.

Yeah, from what she just said, I was sure Yale still hadn't told anyone we were never engaged and the whole thing had just been us playing "pretend". Federica's brows furrowed in confusion, as she still continued to stare at the two of us.

"Then why are you here?" She asked, fully shifting her gaze to her dearest cousin.

"She's here because...ummm." Yale paused, nervous all of a sudden not knowing what to tell her.

Was the great and arrogant Yale Adkins-Benenati nervous? He turned to look at me but I quickly avoided his gaze. Why was he even looking at me? She had asked him a question and not me.

"Because?" She folded her arms across her chest waiting for him to continue.

"Because, their life was threatened and bringing them here is the only way I can protect them." He uttered out in an authoritative voice, masking up any sign of ever being nervous.

"Their, them? What's going on here Ilario?" Federica, who was now more confused than before asked shifting her eyes from Yale to me.

I averted her gaze, and made my way over to the seat on my right to sit down. No way was I going to get involved in this. I wasn't going to be the one giving out explanations, this was a family affair between them. Besides, she was his cousin after all and If he'd kept the fact that he had a daughter from her, then who was I to say anything.

"Yale?" She demanded getting impatient by the second.

I just sat there with a pleased look on my face, watching the two of them. This was going to be quite interesting.