Part 23

It was finally Saturday and my peaceful sleep was going great till my mother barged into my room, calling out my name. I groaned out, pulling the sheets over my head wishing she'd disappear or leave me alone to sleep in late since I was dead tired, but who was I kidding.

"Wake up young lady. It's already half past nine." She stated, yanking the cover off me.

That didn't stop me from continuing my sleep until she made her way to the window to draw the curtains back, letting the sunlight in to disrupt my sleep.

"Why are you waking me up at this time Ruby?" I groggily questioned my mother with my eyes still closed.

"We have to to go shopping." She pointed out.

"I told you I wasn't going mum." I croaked out covering my eyes with my arm.

She had been nagging me about going to this year's fundraiser gala since last week. I didn't get why she desperately wanted me to go this year, couldn't I just sit this one out?

"Yes you are. I need my family by my side tonight. I can't show up on my own on a day I'm being honored." She argued.

Ohhh did I forget to mention she was being honored for her contributions toward the charity as its chairwoman. Yeah.

"This is the second time you are being honored, I'm sure no one will mind if your family isn't there with you. Besides Judo will be there. And why are they even honoring you for a second time. Wasn't the first time enough." I sat up in the bed rumbling on and on.

"Because I'm great."

"Well go be great and let me sleep mom. I just want to stay home with Winter today." I got out of the bed and stumbled over to the bathroom to pee.

I came back a minute later to find my mother sitting on the bed sniffling and dabbing at her eyes. Was she, was she crying? Oh God, here we go again.

"Mom..." I went to sit near her taking hold of her hand.

"Mom, are you okay?" I asked getting worried at her state.

"I'm going to end up all alone soon." She sniffled.

"Don't say that mom, you still have us, me, Winter and Judo." I reassured her.

"Do I? Your brother Judo has been away for the past three months wondering around like a hippie and you don't even want to come to the fundraiser with me." She turned to look me directly in the eye and pointed out.

I knew what she was up to and her tactics were working, I was already feeling guilty and the way she was looking at me wasn't helping.

"Fine mom, I'll come." I admitted giving in to her manipulation before it got out of hand.

"Ohh good. Get ready then we have a long day ahead of us." She got up smiling triumphantly patting me on my back.

I let out a sigh already regretting the fact that I had given in to her whims.

"I guess I have to call Holly to babysit Winter then." I blankly stated staring into space.

"Or Winter can come with us." My mother suggested from beside me.

"That's true. Holly obviously have something better doing than to babysit." I muttered to myself thinking about the situation.