Ch 3: A Jackass in a Limo

After parting with the Undersiders, I stop by a pet store and buy food, a tough collar and leash for walking my new dog, along with a name plate that just says his new name "Buck". I return to the hotel, using the walk to train Buck in basic commands. He's a good learner.

When we arrive, I give him food and spend the rest of the day and most of the next to train him. Eventually, it comes time to go to work, so I change into my uniform. Cargo pants, a t-shirt, a Kevlar vest, and combat boots. I slide on two shoulder holsters for my guns.

I slide on a visor with built in heat, night, and x-ray vision settings. It even has a Geiger counter, motion sensors, and GPS on top of functioning as regular sunglasses. Tinker tech. Gotta love it. This particular visor was made for Black Ops squads by a Tinker contracted to the government years ago.

I cover my torso with a jacket to hide the Kevlar and guns. I then cover the lower half of my face with a bandana. On my belt and in my pockets I carry a combat knife, a small first aid kit, extra ammunition, smoke bombs, and other small useful devices.

I make my way downstairs, slipping past the front desk with Buck hot on my heels. He is such a fast learner. He might have some Border Collie in him. We get outside without being noticed. I reward Buck with a treat and focus on training him more as we head to the rendezvous point.

I'm mostly working on his patience and obedience this time. I'm establishing signals for basic things, like sitting when I sit and waiting until I say so to stand. A car pulls up while I'm working with him. It looks like a bulletproof limousine. I frown at it as it stops in front of me.

A door opens and a man wearing similar clothes to mine, steps out. His bulletproof vest is on top of his jacket and he's got a mask covering the lower half of his face, but his outfit resembles mine in all other aspects. He examines me "Anubis?" I straighten up, keeping a tight grip on Buck's collar.

I nod slowly and he motions to the backseat. I get in, looking away from him only when absolutely necessary. As soon as I'm seated and Buck is lying next to me, I spot a figure sitting across from me. He's wearing a skintight black bodysuit with a stencil of a white snake curling around it.

The head of the snake is on his forehead. I can't help but arch an eyebrow at him. This man exudes the aura of someone who enjoys being in control. No. Who needs to be in control. I hate and pity those people. They live every day trying to control something that they can only influence, not control.

Just the way he's dressed tells me he's probably a cape. It might not be public knowledge, but this man definitely has powerful enemies. Enemies he cannot afford to know anything as to what he looks like. I can't see it, but I'm certain he's giving me one of those fake, corporate business smiles.

"The elusive Anubis. We meet at last." No way in hell am I working with this guy. His voice is just like that of a successful lawyer or politician. It exudes professionalism, cunning, and far too good to be true. But, seeing as the limousine is in motion, I might as well hear him out.

"Well, you know who I am, now I think it's about time you return the same courtesy." He chuckles lightly, breathily. "Of course. You may call me Coil." The way his hand rests lightly on his chest as he says this, as though he were but a humble servant of the Queen of England, irritates me for some reason.

I keep my face in check though as I nod stiffly. I hate coming to the client just to hear about a job. It's normally done over the phone so I don't spend as much on travel expenses. "So, Coil, why did you call me all the way here?" He holds up a hand, as though to have me hold off on speaking.

"Please, relax Anubis. I promise that, if you don't take me up on my offer, I will fully reimburse you for the trip here and back. This was too sensitive to discuss on the phone." Now that was just scary. I have never told anyone my reasoning for taking jobs over the phone.