Ch 17: Little Black Lies

Newter drops down from the ceiling and knocks out one of Skidmark's capes with his spit. Why do I keep forgetting about his hallucinogenic fluids? He manages to grab a vial before racing across the stage. Just as he reaches Skidmark, Skidmark raises his stupid cape, layering his power onto it.

Since Newter is already mid-jump when this happens, he can't stop. At least he remembers to spit on Squealer before hitting the cape, knocking him and Skidmark backwards from the impact.

I've managed to climb up onto one of the pillars Labyrinth is erecting, giving me ample line of sight. I'm just in time to see Skidmark and Newter bounce apart, with Skidmark layering his power onto Newter and the ground around him.

Now that simply will not do. So, I focus on Skidmark, my power racing over the crowd to grab hold of his passenger. I can almost see the ghostly hand shake the passenger a bit, as though wringing it's neck.

Immediately, the layers of directional panels disappear, allowing Newter to land, not so gracefully, on his ass. At least he wasn't lobbed in another direction. Naturally, Skidmark is more than a little confused and angered by his power shutting down like that.

He raises his arms again, but no panels appear this time. Even across the room, I can see Newter grin as he gets up and runs for the case. Another of the Merchant's capes kicks it aside as they run to intercept Newter...or help Skidmark. I couldn't be sure.

Either way, they're useless as Newter simply uses them as a baseboard to jump over the small group to the case. A flash of light to my left wrenches my attention away from the stage. I look over to see that the child, now called 'Scrub' is having another power burst.

I only realize my mistake a second too late as I look back at the platform in time to see Skidmark use his power to launch the case of vials and papers into the air. Everything within the case goes flying.

I can see a few of the papers 'float' down to where Skitter is but I let it go for now. Instead, I pull up my bandana and hood, teleporting mid air to grab the vials and papers that I can. Newter and Shamrock, our newest member, manage to grab the ones that I miss.

I glance up at my family's newest addition. Shamrock is a Case 53, like Newter and Gregor, but she looks completely normal and has all of her memories. She filled in a fair number of blanks in that story for us when she joined.

She's a probability manipulator. In layman's terms though...she's super lucky. She's nice and helpful and all...but she's kinda cocky so there's been a bit of tension between she and I. It's getting better though...I think.

But that's not what's important right now. What is important is shutting down 'Scrub' before he really hurts someone. Not that he hasn't already...but the less damage he does the better. So, I call Spitfire on my cell phone.

"Sup?" "You're with Labyrinth right?" I voice my guess since we never leave her alone when using her powers. "Yup." "Good. I need a good line of sight on that kid unleashing the white lights. Can I get a hand?" She chuckles a bit "Comin' right up." I am so glad she didn't use a nickname.

I don't usually mind them but they get on my nerves sometimes. Especially in high adrenaline situations like this one. Just then, the floor beneath me shoots up towards the ceiling, stopping a good 3 stories up.

I put the phone up to my ear "Tell Labyrinth I said thanks." "Sure thing gra-" "Not one more word out of you young lady." I chide, not letting her finish. I can hear the start of a whine, something along the lines of 'you're no fun' but I hang up before she finishes.

I look down to see that Labyrinth has constructed her own maze within the shopping center. It is truly a work of art honestly. Regardless I look for Scrub among the many walls that litter the ground floor.