Ch 4: Alone No More?

Coil takes my silence as an invitation to continue "Rest assured, I won't be sharing anything that I know about you at any time, whether you accept my offer or not." I don't believe him. I don't know why...I just don't.

"I do my research. I don't do business with people with mystery agendas. I like knowing the big picture. By tracking any and all incidents where you, or your mercenaries, or even someone who resembles you or them is spotted, I can see what you're up to."

His right pointer finger twitches slightly. "It's pretty obvious just by looking over your activities that you plan to eliminate your competition." He relaxes slightly when he hears that I don't know his full plan, just a general goal. Regardless, I think it's high time Coil learned the truth.

"I want you to understand something Coil. This meeting? Nothing more than ear service." I'm sure if I could see his face, he'd be giving me his best 'WTF bro?' look. He sighs "Are you sure Anubis?" I nod. "Unfortunately for you Coil, you talk like a politician. There's no transparency."

I can see his neck muscles contract, his head tips up, his lower jaw drops ever so slightly, and he leans forward in his seat, indicating that he wants to speak. But I'm not finished yet. So, I hold up a hand, a silent request for him to hold off until I'm done.

"Please, Coil. I'm almost done." He nods and leans back "The fact of the matter is that I can't trust you. You offer to help me but my problems are very personal and I can't bring myself to trust you." Coil sighs deeply "I...understand your position."

His finger taps rhythmically on his leg for a pregnant moment "Is...is there any way I could change your mind?" I tip my head at him "You are dead set on getting me on your payroll...why?" It must be his agenda.

He sighs "Unfortunately, to reveal your role in my plan, I must reveal my plan to you. I only want to do that when I know you will work for me." I shake my head. Typical. "Then I'm afraid we have nothing more to discuss. Stop the car." Coil sighs but acquiesces, signaling the driver to stop the car.

The car stops and one of the mercenaries opens the door for me. I spare Coil one last look before I say, without looking away from the snakehead on his mask "Down." The dog dutifully obeys, jumping down from the seat "Down." I repeat, pointing the street.

Again, Buck obeys, jumping down to the street. I immediately follow up with one last command "Stay!" He does, sitting down facing me in the car. I give Coil one last look before finally tearing my eyes away from the man to leave. I watch as the limousine pulls away.

I give Buck some treats and pets, telling him how good he was before we start walking back. I keep him on the leash for now so I can train him the commands for walking beside, behind, or in front of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coil's P.O.V.~

I can't believe it. I wasn't able to convince him to work for me. I know from reports what would have happen if I sent a representative instead....it wouldn't go well. Anubis is careful, and perhaps a bit paranoid. He meets with the top dog or no one at all. That's why I met with him myself.

Even with all of my information though, I still couldn't get him to agree to work for me. I don't get it. I can't seem to remember how the other try went. That's never happened before. I always get two tries. But then...why? My phone rings. I pull it out. Tattletale.

The Undersiders should still be recovering from Bakuda the other day. I answer "Tattletale." "Coil, I want to tell you about something." "Oh?" She rarely called to tell me something. Normally she has a question. "We ran into someone earlier today....I think he's a Thinker or Trump cape."