Ch 9: How the Mighty Have Fallen

Newter has a knife wound just below his shoulder blade that stretches along his side. My companions stop just before their feet hit the puddle of his blood. That's right, hallucinogenic blood. I wonder, if I shut off his power, if it would still be active.

I don't want to risk it right now, but it's something to try later. I'd put away the spray bottle before rejoining the group and I am now reminded that I am the only one truly safe from Newter's fluids. In my combat boots, jacket, and gloves, none of my skin is exposed.

Skitter tells Bitch to get rubber gloves or saran wrap and a first aid kit from downstairs. I put a hand on Bitch's shoulder as Skitter talks to Sundancer. "Just the kit. I can move Newter if needed." Bitch nods and leaves. Skitter goes down the hall and I stay with Sundancer.

Skitter soon returns with a plastic sheet. She and Sundancer lay it down by Newter's feet upside down just as Bitch comes up the stairs with a first aid kit. According to Bitch, it feels light. Fucking fantastic.

Skitter looks at Bitch "What about the-" I interrupt. "No need." I say as I lean down and pick up Newter, one arm under his chest, and another under his legs. It takes a bit of effort since I'm being careful not to aggravate the cut as I place him down on the plastic sheet.

The three stare at me and that's when it truly hits me. I am the only adult in the room. All of these capes are teenagers and the only conscious ones are girls. Sure Bitch is strong, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a 47-year-old, 6'4" man.

Powers imply trauma. I became a rogue to try to limit the horrors everyone faced, but these kids before me...I couldn't protect them. It's an enlightening thought. I am quick to snap out of it though for the sake of the child at my feet.

I help Bitch look for purses. It takes me a minute to figure out what Skitter is thinking. When I do, I stride over to Bitch. She glares at me. I roll my eyes but keep my voice firm. "It's nothing personal. She's panicking under pressure."

We return to Sundancer and Skitter. I choose to run up the stairs with Bitch. Bitch tosses three purses at them while I rummage through two more. We find period pads and apply them to Newter's cut. When I see that Skitter is tense, I nudge her with my elbow.

She looks at me "Relax. If you were doing something wrong, I wouldn't let you do it." Once he's all bandaged up, I carefully pick him up. "I'm gonna get him back to Labyrinth and Vigilant. They can watch him." I go to the window and spot Labyrinth past her maze.

I focus on teleporting right behind her. Without fail, I appear behind her. She whirls around and runs over when she sees that I have Newter. I put him down and look at her. "Take care of him will you? Lung is still here and they're gonna need me. If you need evac, you know what to do."

She nods and I teleport back into the window just as the entire building shakes. Thankfully, I teleport two more times. Once in mid-air over the first floor, and another onto one of Bitch's dogs.

A section of the wall is torn off as a bunch of ABB members retreat through the hole, only to stop when they see us. They are quickly followed by Lung. He's 15' tall now, with scales, talons, and the beginnings on wings on his back.

FUCK! Not how I wanted this to go. Kaiser strolls in and generates a blade aimed right at Lung's chest. I roar at him "Kaiser you dumbass! This was what we wanted to avoid!" Kaiser glares at me and Lung unleashes something like a chuckle, though it's distorted by his form.

I am seething as I focus on Lung. I just hope that every other power of his is taken away when I do this. I stare at him and I can feel it, the energy flowing from me to him. It seeps past his armor and to that crystal inside of him.