Ch 23: Chit Chat with Psychopaths

After the Travelers and Undersiders leave, because my first ever rant didn't help the situation at all, the remaining teams begin their discussion on the Slaughterhouse Nine. They begin with who the Nine went after.

Hookwolf was approached by Shatterbird, one of the Travelers was approached by Crawler, and Armsmaster was approached by Mannequin. Now it's time for me to fill in the gaps, allowing Genesis to fill in the Travelers and Undersiders.

I speak up. "Thanks to my precognition, I know who else was approached and by whom." They all look at me. "Burnscar abstained, Siberian approached Bitch, Cherish approached Regent, Bonesaw approached Panacea, and Jack Slash approached me."

It would seem that one or more of those were surprising to the group. Which ones? I don't know. They immediately launch into a discussion about what they can do now. I decide to focus on my visions until I'm needed again.

I focus on the capes in Brockton Bay. I'm not looking at most likely anymore, I just need to know what might happen next. The Slaughterhouse Nine are so unpredictable that looking at the most likely possibilities could cost us dearly.

I can see Faultline's Crew skipping town in several of them. Not surprising. Anubis and Labyrinth are their best bets against the Nine and that's not saying much. Let's see, I can feel Imp's power trying to make me forget her so I know she's around here somewhere.

That's good, she'll be able to share what happens here with the Undersiders and the Travelers later. At some point in the discussion, I am jarred out of my visions by Castle's hand on my shoulder "Aeon?" I look up at him, and then at the group. "I didn't hear you." I say flatly.

A few people huff but Miss Militia presses on. "How soon will the Slaughterhouse Nine begin their tests?" "Hmm." I hum as I focus my power on their tests. I can see all of the possible gruesome tests and outcomes.

I shudder slightly at the sight but I push forth until I eventually get her answer. "Tomorrow morning." Coil tilts his head "How likely is that to happen though?" I frown as I look at him, knowing none of them can see it. "Dinah deals in probabilities. I deal in possibilities."

Skidmark demands "What the fuck does that mean?" He seems a bit surprised that he's the only one to ask. I look at him "It means that Dinah can tell you how likely an outcome is to occur. I, on the other hand, can tell you what might happen between now and said outcome."

Again, I focus on the visions while everyone goes back to talking. As I explore the various futures, I am not left alone to my thoughts for long before I get a flash of Tattletale bleeding. I turn and stare in the direction Tattletale is as the possible futures branch off from the original.

"No." My voice is airy, barely a whisper. Vigilant looks at me "What?" I don't hear him. I'm watching the scene unfold before my eyes. "Don't do it Tattletale, please!" Vigilant speaks up, catching my attention "Hold up! What will Tattletale do?"

I sigh as I watch other possibilities fade, the future decided. I look at Vigilant, my voice tinged with sorrow. "We can't kill Jack Slash, Bonesaw, Cherish, and Siberian all at once from here, so it doesn't matter." I look back over the water, before looking over the crowd.

I shunt myself to stand before Othala "You need to make me fly." She glances at Hookwolf. I sigh "If you don't, the 4 I just mentioned will come here." "Why would they come here?" Clockblocker asks. I look at him, then at Hookwolf.

"Bonesaw wants to meet the recruits." Hookwolf huffs "Then shouldn't I go too?" I stare at him "Not if you want Jack or Cherish to find out about your plans." He kinda growls but doesn't say anything else.

I can feel that heat building again. It's not as strong as last time but it feels weird. Last time, I had a reason to feel so...ready to punch someone. I'm not so sure I have a reason to feel that now. I know why Othala is hesitating and Hookwolf is cooperating.

I've never felt emotions so strongly, and even then, never this easily. Oh. So that's it. I turn to look towards the 'shore' where I know the Slaughterhouse Nine is likely to be. I focus my power and throw out my hand, arm straight and fingers to the sky, palm facing forward.

I can feel my power connect with my target and I can't help but be a bit...I think it's called smug. Skidmark practically scoffs "What the shit are you doin' now?" he demands, almost like I've inconvenienced him. I really haven't though.

I look at him "Teaching Cherish not to mess with me." I look back at Othala again. "If you don't do it right now. I will miss them." She sighs but agrees. I drop my hand, releasing Cherish so I can get closer to Othala. She touches my shoulder and gives me the ability to fly.

It feels warm and I almost feel lightheaded with the power addition. I look at the group "Shatterbird will sing for the whole city in 20-30 minutes." With that, I fly off to confront the Nine. I land on the beach and shunt myself forward.

I stop when I spot them. Or, is it when they spot me? If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not really sure. Jack smiles "Aeon, come to say hello?" I nod "I did." I look at Bonesaw. The little girl has curly blonde hair, and is wearing an apron covered in blood and filled with various tools.

From what my visions have shown me, Bonesaw will respond well to 'friendliness'. "Hello Bonesaw, I am Aeon. Hookwolf is busy right now." "Oh too bad. Nice to meet you though." Jack continues to grin like the Cheshire Cat.

"Something funny Jack?" He chuckles "Just what happened to Cherish a minute ago. That was you right? Good work. I knew I was right to pick you." I nod "It was me." I glance at Cherish "Nothing personal. I just don't enjoy being toyed with."

She glares at me. If time played out how I saw it would, that means Tattletale is bleeding out inside the parking garage and Cherish is going to be punished for trying to play the Slaughterhouse Nine.

Jack smiles "I'm sure you already know about Shatterbird?" I nod "She's singing soon, loud enough for ~90% of the city to hear." He nods. "Good. Also, you'll be tested by each of us individually, failure to pass a test has consequences."

I nod, waving it off with a hand "I am well aware. I have already alerted Hookwolf to Shatterbird's song tonight." Bonesaw looks ready to pout but Jack is quick to answer "Good. Then we can be off to prepare our tests."

They walk away and I rush into the parking garage. I can see a few of them hunched over Tattletale. I run over, shunting around them so I don't have to push through the group. I get several accusatory and questioning looks but I focus on Tattletale.

I could try to heal the cut but I know Jack would get angry at me for it...and he'd take it out on a civilian as payback. So, instead, I focus on her body, forcing her body to stop entirely. The second she stops breathing, Regent's taser staff is aimed at my head.

I immediately start talking "I'm freezing her in time. Not unlike Clockblocker except she can still be moved and if you punch her now, she'll feel it when I unfreeze her. This will prevent her from bleeding out."

This is true. However, this is an extension of my power that I try to avoid using. It leaves people too vulnerable with no way of healing them. On top of that, this is an over-extension of my power that I cannot do very well. I can already feel a headache beginning to form.

Thankfully, a car arrives shortly to pick up Tattletale. My power showing me the whole time we're waiting that Coil is the one sending it and the possible outcomes of each of these meetings. Sundancer thanks me for the help and I nod.

"Coil will fill you in on what's being said on the other island. I need to get back." With that, I leave the parking garage. I can see that the meeting, if it hasn't ended already, will be ending within the minute, so I decide to wait here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~