Interlude 1: Danger

Leviathan is attacking the city. Fuck. I'm pretty effective in most fights and against most opponents, some Shakers and Changers give me trouble but I can, for the most part, shut down any power house I meet.

What I can't handle...are Endbringers. I can outpace most of them, and pretty much match Leviathan, in mobility, but I can't do anything with that speed. Fat load of bullcrap that's doing me. I hate being helpless.

Faultline made it clear to us that we are not to engage Leviathan. None of us are equipped for that fight. Instead, we are confining ourselves to the Palanquin and riding out the storm. I have been grabbing supplies all morning.

The supplies are from storage facilities Faultline owns and range from water to non-perishable food to generators. In the meantime, everyone else is charging their phones and laptops to ensure maximum charge in case we lose power.

I teleport back into the Palanquin and drop off our supplies on the top floor. We've prioritized and created plans in case this building gets knocked down during the impending battle. I'm about to join the rest of the team in their poker game when I freeze.

I can see it now. The shelter where I adopted Buck. Rachel's shelter. All of the dogs there are in a prime position to be swept away in whatever tsunamis hit the city. I look at Faultline who is staring at me. She knows something's wrong.

I look at her for a good long minute before I speak. "I need to borrow Labyrinth." She narrows her eyes at me. "Explain." I take a deep breath and quickly explain to her why I want to save Bitch's dogs. In a nutshell, she provided me Buck and her dogs don't deserve to drown.

Faultline sighs and agrees, but only on the condition that I abandon the rescue mission should Leviathan come within 10 blocks of Labyrinth. I can do that. Thankfully, Elle is very lucid today and is all too happy to help me save the dogs. I teleport us to the shelter.

I already have a new location in mind on higher ground and further away from the Bay. With Labyrinth morphing the city so I have a straight line between the shelter and the new safe haven, I can teleport much further.

Granted, it is still slow going since I can only teleport 2, maybe 3 dogs at a time, but I am making progress. It takes me a good 30 minutes to teleport all of the dogs to their new location along with all of their food, water, toys, beds, and bowls that Bitch was storing there.

I could've sworn I saw Leviathan run backwards in the distance...I probably just imagined it though. After all, there are very few capes that can affect Endbringers like Leviathan...but none of them can do that to him.

I return to Labyrinth when I am finished, putting a hand on her shoulder. "We did it. Good job. It's ok. You can drop it if you want." She nods and lets the world return to its original state or form or whatever you want to call the change she makes.

I can see Leviathan tearing through streets in the distance. Now that she's not exercising her power, Labyrinth can clearly see Leviathan and all of the destruction he's caused. So, it comes as no surprise to me when she grabs my arm and hugs it tight as though it will protect her.

No. It will protect her...and she knows it. At this point, it has become clear to Elle that I will protect her with my life. Is it because I see my missing daughter in her? Maybe. To be honest, she fills a hole that's been open for many years.

I don't particularly care to examine the psychology of our relationship. I do know that it is perfectly possible that I might officially adopt Elle one day. She wouldn't mind. I know because she's said as much in her less lucid states.

She already comes to me for problems like any daughter would to her father. Nightmares, how to do things, opening jars, etc. Although, to be honest, Emily comes to me for that last one too. Emily has also asked me to get things out of reach for her whenever Elle is having a bad day.

I think Newter has a love-hate relationship with me. After all, I've got lots of, as he calls them, 'cool stories'. But, I have been known to lecture him on any bad behavior or habits. I like to chat with Gregor about psychology, philosophy, and population behavior.

He makes for quite interesting conversation and an interesting point of view. He is a very insightful individual. I think Faultline appreciates the assistance in caring for her team and having another experienced member of her team.

On top of that, Faultline and I have had discussions regarding powers, triggers, and the Manton limit that have lasted sometimes hours on end. After all, as someone with two trigger events, I am a good person to talk to.

From my personal research and understanding, when I first triggered, I had both my teleportation and my nullification powers. But, I think my Trump power was more of a power blunter than anything else.

But, it might have been dampening my own teleportation as well. Thus, when I triggered again in the Behemoth fight, my Trump power became its own thing, and more specific, so my Mover power was running at full capacity.

I free my arm from Labyrinth's grasp to wrap it around her shoulders and squeeze. "It's ok. I won't let him hurt you. Let's get you home." She nods, not taking her eyes off the monstrosity destroying our city.

Without releasing her, I teleport us back home. It takes a few jumps, but I hold her steady and let her recover fully from each jump before I make the next jump. When we finally make it back to base, I put her in her bed so she can recover from the jump.

Once I'm sure she's alright, I go to tell the others that we're back and what we saw. Obviously, Faultline is troubled by my report but is still glad to know that Leviathan shouldn't reach us. Overall, I am just glad to know that my new family is safe. For now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~