Ch 18: School's in Session

Well, I must say, I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I am. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I don't think it was this. I am quite impressed that this market has survived Leviathan, the Merchants, Fenrir's Chosen, and the Pure.

I suppose the police officers do help with that. The market where Martin (Castle) sent Wren (Vigilant), Evelyn (Fulgur), and I to is towards the edge of town and was left mostly untouched by Leviathan.

We walk around, looking for clothes that can work for both everyday and for a costume. Evelyn, as expected, dived right in to the task of getting me a wardrobe. It took her a bit to fully register that, given my homelessness and poverty, I have never owned anything in the proper sense.

I do not have my own style nor do I have a preference for my costume. Although, with all of the designs that I have seen in my years, one does come to mind. The anonymity, the simplicity, the elegance, it has always held a special place in my heart.

I keep that one in mind as we look for clothes. It takes me several tries before I finally manage to convince her that I don't want to draw attention to myself in any way. Thus, function over form, and practicality over style. Also, no sequins, dresses, skirts, or heels.

After getting at least a week's worth of clothes, paid for by Martin as per his insistence, we move on to the costume. I am fast-forwarding people's heads slightly so they turn their heads fast enough not to see me. Only if they're turning to look at me of course but it helps to calm me.

It's why I hesitated to give my name all those years ago. I don't quite know where the name came from. Perhaps a play on my power? A sick joke? I can't be sure. But that one day, when I first saw that costume I love so much, I almost told him something else.

I don't know what I was going to say, I collapsed before I could get the first syllable out. There's something about him. Is it his power? I don't know. I have all but avoided him since. Again, not entirely sure why. A feeling I suppose.

Still, it takes a little while to find everything we need that we can get here and decide to head back. My power shows me several potential run-ins with the Merchants and Fenrir's Chosen when taking certain paths, so I lead the way away from those streets.

A few times, I pause at a corner, waiting for the enemy group to pass the juncture for their street so they won't see us pass. I can tell that Wren/Vigilant understands, to some extent, what I am doing. He even manages to catch 'sight' of a stray Merchant that I missed.

We manage to make it back to their house with no issues. I am given to understand that their last name is Dryden and that I am to refer to their parents as Mr. and Mrs. Dryden. At least...those are the societal standards. I don't know what they want to be called.

We enter the house, closing the door behind us. Evelyn announces that we're home and we climb the stairs to drop off the stuff in the room. No. To drop off my stuff in my room. I'm not sure I like that word. 'My'. I have never had the need for it before.

Strange. Up until now, I didn't even consider the cape identity, Aeon, to be 'mine'. Evelyn and Wren leave me to change into one of the outfits we bought today. I change into 'jeans' and a 't-shirt'.

I'm also wearing something called a 'bra'. I find it a bit uncomfortable but Evelyn promises she will explain why it is important when there are no boys around. I can't imagine why that's necessary but Evelyn is good at explaining things so I'll trust her on it.

I come downstairs when I am done changing, carrying the pieces of my costume so I can work on it while listening to conversations. Martin is in the kitchen peeling some kind of fruit. I take a seat at the table and get to work on my costume design.