Ch 15: Questions and Answers

The shorter and skinnier of the guys stands as he asks me "How's your head?" It takes me a moment to realize that he is asking about my migraine. It has been a few days since the Leviathan fight and the medicine seems to have helped. It still hurts though.

Not sure how to word it, I decide to go for simplicity "Closer to a dull ache than the throbbing from yesterday." Still not the worst migraine I've ever had. But that was a long time ago, with the really tall lady.

I can guess that the girl is Fulgur, making the skinnier guy Vigilant. Vigilant walks to the cabinet and grabs a small bottle. He twists off the top and brings over a few pills. I glance at him, questioning the pills.

He smiles "It's the migraine medicine. You can dissolve it in liquids. Want some water?" I nod. Vigilant grabs a glass from a cabinet, but he has to reach past a woman to get it. How did I not notice her? It seems she's been quietly using one of the appliances by the oven this whole time.

"Waffle Iron," Vigilant says. I didn't ask anything, but it isn't hard to put the pieces together that he's referring to the device the woman is operating. "it's a waffle iron, and that's my mom, Fulgur's too." He finishes his explanation, pointing to the woman.

I understand the concept of parents, mothers and fathers. I also understand the connection they supposedly have to their children. Long nights have been spent contemplating what my parents look like, where they are, who they are, and what might have happened to them.

So, Vigilant and Fulgur are siblings. I look between them. I suppose I can see it. Both have dark hair and somewhat similar facial structures, despite the gender difference. Do I have any siblings out there?

I shut down that thought as soon as it pops up. I'm distracted as it is and can't afford to think on that subject for too long unless I want to miss everything that's said to me. According to my visions, this morning is pivotal to how the Slaughterhouse Nine recruitment drive goes.

I'm not entirely sure how without focusing on the Nine, but I've seen over a dozen futures for each version of this morning. I decide to try eating and having that water/medicine. Everything I put in my mouth is delicious.

I eat slowly but deliberately. If I eat too fast, I'll upset my digestive system. Vigilant hands me the glass of water. I take a sip, enjoying the feeling of the cold water on my throat. I glance up at him "Thank you." I'd been taught some basic manners at homeless shelters so I can get by there.

A man appears in the doorway sighing dramatically and hanging his head "Alas, we are entirely out of syrup." There are a few groans from Fulgur who complains "But if there is no syrup, then what is the point of living?"

I think they're joking, but I could also be wrong. I'm not great at reading social interactions. The two burst out laughing. It was a joke. The man notices me. "Oh, hello there, I'm Wren and Evelyn's father, you're the new team mate, Era, or something like that?"

There's a faint twinge in my chest. I don't know why, but I feel...unsettled (?) by that sentence. I don't know why though so I leave it be. Aside from that though, I'm not sure how to respond to his question.

I suppose Evelyn might be Fulgur, making Wren either Castle or Vigilant. I don't think I was asked if I wanted to join, though that was among the things that I saw decided this morning. I suppose I should just be honest.

Never saw any point in lying. It just complicates things. Before I can answer though, the one I assume is Castle interjects "Not a team mate, at least not yet, maybe, but that conversation hasn't happened yet. Just trying to apologize with a place to crash and some food."

The man shrugs and goes to Vigilant's mom. He wraps his arms around her and rests his chin on her shoulder. I decide to assume that he is 'dad' until otherwise corrected. I speak up "Aeon." I say, just before taking another bite of bacon and a sip of water.