Ch 27: Forget and...Reconnect?

I watch as the miasma rises like a cloud of blood vapor, seeking out individuals upon which it can enact its purpose. I sigh. I don't want to forget. I sit down, resigning myself to the inevitable agnosia. I honestly can't do anything else.

Eventually, I stand. I knew from my power ahead of time that I would lose my ability to recall faces and powers and match them to names. I decide to systematically go through everything I can remember.

In each timeline that I saw, the information I lost changed depending on how the miasma interacted with my powers. Let's see. My caped name is Aeon, I don't know my age nor my race nor my name.

My earliest memory was 8 years ago. I was in that lab. They wanted me to do something that I didn't want to do. I ran. I fought back. I got sucked through a hole in the wall and landed on a battlefield. I don't remember who was there though.

I remember the awe and wonder from watching the fight. I can't see the face, but I can remember that one of the individuals had wings. I always called her 'the angel'. Why do I remember the angel? Is it because she was so integral to my freedom?

I also remember fear. Not paralyzing fear though. More like the kind of fear that makes you run past your limits. I don't remember who it was, but I had seen that whoever was fighting the angel would have taken me back to the lab. What else do I remember?

I came to Brockton Bay to warn about Leviathan. Funny that I remember what he looks like. I remember talking to a few people after the fight but I don't quite remember what was said. I think I was asked to join a few groups, but I turned them down.

I don't remember why I turned down so many requests. I do remember almost getting zapped, then running, and then meeting Team Arc. I remember Fulgur being very loud, Vigilant was nice but he occasionally gave me a headache. Castle was understanding and patient.

As I stroll down the street, I use my power to slow down or stop anyone who looks like they're going to attack. Someone calls out to me. "Aeon." I spin around my hands up and ready to activate my power, but they yell "Woah woah woah. Easy Aeon. It's me, Fulgur."

I narrow my eyes at the girl with blonde hair. I can't seem to remember what Fulgur looks like. "But...Fulgur's loud." A rather stupid response but I can't remember anything else. She pauses but nods "Well yeah, but I'm sneaking right now."

She points at a person behind her "Castle's here too." A tall man with dark hair steps out from the alley. I can't remember what Castle looks like either. I don't know what to believe. My power warned me that if I wasn't with the group that I wouldn't know who I'm talking to in here.

I try to focus my power but it's being sporadic. I frown as I try to focus it. I cough as I take another deep breath of the miasma. "Hey, you okay?" 'Castle' steps towards me and I freeze him in place. 'Fulgur' raises her hands.

"Woah woah. It's ok Aeon. Relax." I release Castle and stare at her. Always possible that they aren't who they say they are. Who was it that I wanted to avoid? There was the people from the lab...but there was someone here in Brockton Bay that I was avoiding.

When did we start walking? I know I tend to zone out but I don't normally walk while I do so. I halt, pulling my hand out of Fulgur's. She looks at me "What's wrong Aeon?" "Where are we going?" She almost looks hurt.

"Is the miasma affecting your short-term memory? We're gonna try to find Vigilant." I remain silent but I don't pull away when she grabs my hand again, pulling me along. Eventually, she speaks up, "Hey, we've been working to explore your powers right?"

I nod "Yes." "What have we discovered so far?" "Just the duplication." Castle looks at me confused "Your what?" Without hesitation, I generate my two copies and Fulgur squeals "Oh it's so cool! You haven't tried it in combat yet right?"