Ch 30: PR Nightmare

Myself, and the rest of Team Arc (Vigilant and Castle are in the Protectorate) are going to New York today to meet with the PRT's Public Relations Division. We're flying there. I really don't want to go to New York. That's where Legend works. As much as I don't want to though, I apparently have to.

Oh, and Assault and Battery are coming with us. Not entirely sure why. When we enter the building, Assault waves us together into the waiting room. "Come along minions! We must speak to you!" Battery looks at her husband "Assault, we've been over this. You don't get minions, and you don't get lackeys."

He huffs "Fine. Anywho, you're about to meet Glenn Chambers, head of PRT PR. He'll be talking to you about costume design, how to handle interviews, how to present yourself, and how to fight in the public eye."

A few of us must've looked confused since he clarifies. "It just means limiting damage, injuries, and fear. Like rubber bullets for Miss Militia." That makes sense. We did testing the other day for our power classifications.

Mine was...interesting. The PRT has classified me into 8 of the 12 categories. I do not classify as a Tinker, Blaster, Striker, or Changer. I am only barely classified as a Trump and Brute, with a 1 rating in both. I'm also a Breaker 2, Stranger and Shaker 3, Master 3+, Mover 4+, and a Thinker 8+.

—————

My meeting with the somewhat obese man named Glenn Chambers left me feeling unusually uncomfortable. I don't know why. The head of Protectorate Public Relations was a professional man. I won't call him nice but he wasn't mean or rude either.

We had discussed costume and how to talk to people mostly since those were the subjects that were in dire need of his attention. According to him anyways. He's going to add some impact resistance armor/padding to my costume to protect me.

I step out of the office while the rest take their turns talking to him. While I wait, Battery keeps glancing at me. Eventually, I can't help but ask "What is it?" "You look familiar..." I stare at her, trying to remember where she would have seen me.

It takes me a bit to find it, mostly with the help of my precognition. After getting away from Jack and Bonesaw in the miasma, I'd seen someone on the ground being attacked by mechanical spiders.

Not knowing who they were, I decided to help just in case. I'd used my powers to rewind the person to the roof of a building. I used the taser Vigilant gave me to zap the spiders, driving them off so I could join the stranger on the roof.

I then shunted myself there. I ultimately decided to rewind their injuries so they never happened. I nod "Oh yes, the spiders." Her eyes go wide, as do Assault's. He rushes to me, pulling me into a hug.

"You saved her. Oh god I am forever in your debt. You saved my poor, injured, defenseless, paranoid puppy." Assault is wearing the most genuine shit-eating grin I have ever seen in my entire life.

Battery practically snarls as she moves to punch him. He dodges and a friendly brawl/chase ensues. The corner of my mouth curves up slightly as I watch them interact. After meeting with each of us and giving us some time to eat, we return to Glenn's office.

There are tables with seemingly color-coded sets and labels. Castle's is dark blue and yellow-gold, Fulgur's is bright purple and grey, and Vigilant's is green and grey. We all change into our new costumes.

Mine is a mix of a dark grey, bronze, and a light grey that is almost white. On my head is a helmet with a hard plastic-like cover for my mouth and nose to filter out gases. There's vambraces and gloves and boots and kneepads.

There's also an impact absorbing hard plastic for my torso and an armor-thing for my butt. My arrow circle icon isn't present but I wouldn't expect him to have that ready just yet. Once we are all suited up in the demo costumes, Glenn spoke up.