Interlude 4: The Best of the Best

This is an alternate viewpoint of the previous chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I scan over the Birdcage reports from the housekeeper program. Nothing new to report. No one has died since I last checked. A couple have hooked up and even more have gotten into scuffles. I check the data on recent seismic activity.

In theory, it will help us estimate Behemoth's next target and when he might strike. Still no concrete direction to indicate where Behemoth might strike next. A shame. It would be nice to get a clearer image of where he's going.

No. What is really sad is that Colin was unable to recruit Aeon into the Wards. I thought for sure she would accept. From what I've gathered in my research of her, she's been appearing all over the world at Endbringer fights.

More specifically, she always gives warning to the local PRT or other Parahuman group of the area within 48 hours of an Endbringer attack. After calling some and reviewing the minimal security footage that exists, I have a fairly clear understanding of the way she warns people.

She usually provides dates for when Endbringers attack, except for one time when she was able to give an estimate on the time (afternoon). She's clearly a precog, and a powerful one at that. Except...there are no reports of her warning of Simurgh attacks. I wonder why.

She's able to track the movements of the others, could it be that the Simurgh, being a powerful Thinker herself, cancels out or messes with Aeon's powers? An email pops up. I open it to see that it's the report from the first time Aeon appeared.

She didn't provide a name nor does the report mention a mask. It simply states that a young girl with copper hair reportedly told a local hero that quote "He's coming. The fire bringer. The monster. He'll kill a lot of people. Monday, March 10th."

Over the next few years her reports became more concise, more direct, and specific. She started using names and she had grown in height. She was growing up. Quickly. Just how 'young' was she in 2003?

Not only that, but most of the reports can't say for sure if she stuck around to fight the Endbringers or not. She seemed to interfere with Leviathan's movements and limit Behemoth's ability to move a lot, but no one can say for certain when she started.

A few of the more recent reports said that Aeon stayed behind after the fight to heal people. No one ever sees her do it, and the people she heals say that the process hurts a lot. Very strange. From the short clips I got from Colin's helmet, she sounds apathetic.

So, why would someone so apathetic bother to stick around and help? And why just warn about Endbringers? Is that the extent of her precognition, or just a specific use? Wait a minute. I playback the video feed from the Leviathan attack for the 5th time.

At the meeting, when Aeon approached. Legend had just called for Movers. She was going up then. That means she has a Mover ability combined with her precognition. A good combination. Colin's voice is so loud that I have to turn down the volume when he yells every time I watch.

"Who are you?!" Aeon stops and turns to face him. "I'm here to help. Does it truly matter who I am?" Colin replies, not quite as loudly, "Because you knew Leviathan was coming. How?" Aeon sighs like it's a hassle.

"You can call me Aeon. And don't worry Armsmaster, Miss Militia, there was only a 6.28% chance you'd believe me. I only told you because you needed to be thinking about it so you would feel compelled to check your detection software."

I pause the video. "Hmm..." After checking all of the reports and videos, I make a note in the file I am putting together about her. That moment, in front of everyone...that is the only time she has ever given a percentage, the odds. Well, as far as we know anyway.