Chapter 10 ~ Louis

Chapter 10 ― Louis 

She just hung up before I could say something and if her voice, or the way she talked to me, didn’t tell me there was something odd with her, that alone did. It was obvious that she didn’t want to talk to me and even more obvious why. That stupid only co-workers thing. Since that day at the station I couldn’t stop thinking of her and our little agreement. I thought of a hundred ways to tell her that it was just bullshit and if we wanted to be friends, we could damn well be friends. But after I thought of that, I remembered why I had to keep a distant relationship with her and any other normal girl, even Joy. If I wanted them to have their normal lives, then we should keep our distances. But even if I didn’t want to accept that, doing that with Havi was way more difficult than it seemed. It was like the more distance I had to keep, the more I wanted to see her.

“So, how did it go?” Harry asked taking a seat next to me on the sofa. I dropped the phone on my other side and just stared at the front blankly. “Lou?” He inquired as I didn’t reply.

“I shouldn’t have called her. I told you,” I said through gritted teeth.

Harry had been bothering me the whole day about calling Havi, that we should know how she was and things like that. I didn’t know why he insisted so much that it had to be me that should call her, but he didn’t leave me alone until I agreed. Yes, I wanted to talk to her but I never thought it was a good idea. I was damn right.

“Why? What happened?” He squeezed my shoulder and made me face him.

“She didn’t want to talk to me. She was busy. She hung up,” I summed up for him.

“Weird. I thought you were the one she liked the most,” he mused and my heart did a flip-flop at his words. I wasn’t sure if it was true, but I liked the idea. I liked it a lot. “Maybe she was indeed busy or maybe she’s on her period. You know how women change when they are on–”

“Stop! I don’t wanna think of that!” I cut him off and he just chuckled.

Maybe she was busy, after all they just started with the contest and probably were getting loads of calls, but I didn’t believe she would talk to anyone like that, and most certainly not to anyone she actually knew. Havi wasn’t that rude. Yes, I didn’t know her that well, but it was obvious she was a nice girl. You didn’t need to know her your whole life to know that, it was evident.

“I dunno,” I mumbled. “I just know she didn’t wanna talk to me. That’s all, you know? Like a feeling I got from talking to her,” I told my best mate and he furrowed his eyebrows in deep concentration.

“Maybe you should try to call her later or try to meet with her. I get the impression you two haven’t cleared things up as well as you think,” said the curly-haired boy and I looked at him for a couple of seconds, thinking.

I felt like there was something pending between Havi and I but I just wanted to think it was because I wasn’t all pleased with the idea of us just being co-workers and then forgetting we knew each other. But maybe Harry was right and there was something pending between us. However, if I called her it would mean breaking our agreement. I told her that we needed to keep distance to protect her and if I asked her to meet outside the radio station I was doing the whole opposite of that. I would expose her to our fans, to the paparazzi and to the rumours. And, of course, to the hate that came every time a girl was near us.

“Maybe if I call her? We could invite her and Joy over!” He proposed getting excited. “They could tell us about the contest and you could talk to Havi and forget about that fuckery of ‘just co-workers’. I told you this before, but that was your worst idea ever. And man, have you had bad ideas.”