Chapter 11 ~ Havi

Chapter 11 ― Havi

 I should have avoided him, greeting him from afar but I didn’t even notice it when I was in front of Louis and when he wrapped his arms around me. I knew I had to keep my distance, I wasn’t going to forget about all what was happening to me with him if I let him hug me like this, but I couldn’t help it. Once he had me in his arms it was… it was just perfect. So hard to describe they way his arms felt around me, how his warmth embraced me, or the things his perfume made me feel. I couldn’t understand how a hug could feel so perfect. If could freeze time, I would have done it in that exact moment.

However, he let me go and when I turned around I saw Joy looking at me disapprovingly yet worriedly at the same time. She knew I started to have feelings for Louis and we both knew that if I didn’t keep distance between us, those feelings were going to grow only stronger. And I couldn’t allow that, even if I knew he didn’t have girlfriend –product of our research about the boys–, I did know he didn’t see me that way. Therefore, the whole co-workers thing was perfect for me, but it still didn’t feel right.

Okay, if I wanted to keep my heart safe, I needed to put some space between us. So we jumped into business. The contest always helped me keep my mind in something else but Louis, though it was closely connected to him, I focused more on the calls and picking the winners of the week. It was amazing the amount of calls we received during these past few days, I still couldn’t believe it, but it was true. We received more than three thousand calls and no one could imagine how hard was to narrow that number to fifty.

We got all kind of answers, from the typical one that they are the best fans in the world and it would mean everything for them to meet the boys, to some very touching that truly broke my heart, to some of the most ridiculous and funny answers I’ve ever heard.

Because they need someone to teach them grammar and punctuation.

Because they changed my life. They helped me go through the hardest time and I need to tell them thank you in person.

Because I’m sure I can make them laugh till they pee themselves.

Because I’ve been there since the beginning and I will be till the very end.

And like those, we received so many. To hear those answers was funny and very emotional. There were stories so heart-breaking and I was truly amazed at how these boys had changed lives with their music and their crazy moments. This contest taught me something important and that was that I underestimated them. I thought they were just five hot boys with nice voices and that everyone was just exaggerating about them. But they were more, so much more than a cute boy band. They were inspiration for many girls and some boys. They were the light in a dark life for some. They were that bit of happiness in some lives. They were something beautiful where it was needed. One Direction was more than music, it was a phenomenon and it wouldn’t have been the same if the boys had been others. In every call you could hear all the love these fans had for them and if you didn’t like them before, you could totally respect them after hearing those calls.

I decided that I didn’t hate them anymore –well, I never hated them, but you get the point– and that I quite liked their uplifting music, plus they were great, so funny and down to earth despite their huge success and they were almost the same boys that were at the bottoms of a stair more than three years ago.

Whilst we showed them the recordings of the calls, I saw their emotions showing in their faces. When they laughed, when they were touched with an answer, when they were a bit scared. Yes, Joy and I selected a few creepy calls just to freak them out a bit.