:Chapter 14:

:Alex:

The smell of the assassin was strong. Like death and snow in an unpleasant way compared to Ice. Ice had a pleasant scent of winter that bloomed in my nose like roses when the sun touched the soft petals that spread forth into the world.

It was a quick reaction shoving Ice out of the way. Ice and I went down into the snow as the assassin landed in the snow. 'Get up, shift, do something to give this assassin a hell of a run, they'll no he is here.' I shifted after pushing Ice behind me.

And then I let out a distress and location call. More howls answered and I knew they would be coming forth here soon. My tail curled up as I bared teeth at the assassin who left huge skid marks where Ice and I had been before we moved.

'If you hadn't of moved those nails would of shredded both you and Ice. Good thinking.' My eyes shifted to the nails that extended down like ice curled up. His weapons. Cold merciless white eyes met my now gold eyes as Echo took the lead and bared teeth at the snow assassin as he approached.

It would be over our dead body those claws were used to end Ice's life. And he ran at us and Echo charged forth as he tried to slash us and we dodged. With us behind him he ran at Ice before Echo leapt on his back teeth sinking into his shoulder.

And then he jumped off before tearing the assassin back who let out an inhumane sound of pain. However Echo kept going tearing into the assassin before he kicked Echo and a yip left and Echo let go. 'That fucking bastard. I'll tear him apart.'

Then he went at Ice again, but Ice was no longer shell shocked like she was with the first assassin. Using the same technique before she had crafted a much larger wolf with teeth bared and used an ice burst to throw it at him and I saw blood develop on him.

And then the assassin went flying back into the snow as Echo got up. 'Having a mate as strong as Ice is nice. I mean look at her powers. The assassin has no idea what he is messing with. Not one bit.' The assassin got up glaring at Ice who looked surprised and generally happy.

She had knocked that assassin a bunch of feet back. Echo shook the fur out of his coat and his lips peeled back in a snarl as the assassin came running. Echo went the other way as the assassin slashed at Ice who narrowly dodged it and crafted an ice spear she threw at him.

He smashed it and Echo snarled as he closed in on him. 'This fucker is going down for good, for attempting to put his hands on our mate.' I agreed with him as Echo leapt forward paws digging into snow as the assassin glared at Ice.

"You can only escape death so long Ice, fretly kye." He spat out in a foreign language at the end before going to slash out Ice's throat. She was trying to craft more ice weapons to defend herself, but I could even smell the fear on her from being captured.

'He'll pay for making her afraid and believing she is going to die.' Just as his ice claws were about to gash out his throat Echo leaped on top of him and the two went crashing down. The claws sunk into our fur and into skin breaking it and blood whelming up.

However Echo was a beast unleashed at that moment, no mercy for the assassin. He ran on instincts to protect his mate and keep her safe from harm. And this thing had tried to kill her. And told her to die in a scratchy voice before attempting to gash her throat out.

'There is no mercy for him.' No mercy for people who went after our mate and Echo showed none. Blizzard arrived in snow leopard form along with my parents and a few warriors just as Echo tore out the assassins throat as Blizzard shifted and pulled Ice away.