07. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗶𝘁𝘀𝘆 𝗯𝗶𝘁𝘀𝘆 𝘀𝗽𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗿

"DUDE, WHAT'S UP WITH THE AVENGERS?"

Eszter furrows her brows, not expecting a question regarding her family so suddenly. The enhanced carried on walking to their Decathlon class, leaving Peter and Ned to trail behind her and Michelle. It wasn't something she was comfortable talking about with people, but the enhanced tends to rant a lot of things with Michelle; knowing she can at least trust the girl, Michelle helps Eszter feel more comfortable to talk about her feelings--which isn't something the enhanced is great at.

"What do you mean?"

"You guys were pretty much all over social media."

"Oh, well, you know . . ." Eszter rambles, unsure of how to talk about something like that. The enhanced didn't particularly want to talk about this, especially not when it involves Wanda. "The Avengers broke up if that's what you're wondering. They had a nasty breakup."

"Like a band?" Michelle sputters into a cackle, laughing at her own joke. Then, Michelle simmers down into a more serious tone. "I'm assuming it's because of the Accords."

Eszter presses her lips into a tight line, trying to avoid the conversation. "Yeah, so how about we talk about something other than the Avengers. I mean, aren't you anti-hero or whatever?"

"Can't I just be a little curious?" Then, she frowns a little. "Okay, to be completely honest, I was a little worried about you. I know how much they mean to you, and from what the news said, Wanda was under custody."

"I appreciate the concern, MJ, really, but it's fresh wounds right now," Eszter frowns lightly, though as she glances up at Michelle, the enhanced musters a small smile.

Michelle nods, though she couldn't deny that she was concerned for her friend. "That's fine, but just know that I'm here for you," Eszter doesn't say anything besides nodding in appreciation. Then, a sly grin cracks onto Michelle's face. "So, tell me, what's up with you and Peter?"

Eszter stiffens, her heart skips a beat, and it felt like her heart dropped to her stomach. How does Michelle know about her little crush on Peter? Surely, Eszter didn't tell her, and she knows Ned couldn't have because she made sure he promised never to speak of it in public; after Ned had discovered her liking to Peter, the boy was too ecstatic that it freaked Eszter out. It terrified Eszter when Ned found out because he was closer with Peter; the enhanced felt that Ned would say it without thinking.

For a while, Eszter didn't trust Ned with her secret.

Now, Michelle had caught on, and that also terrifies Eszter. Although Eszter does tell Michelle things that not even Peter and Ned know, there are certain things the enhanced would rather have no one know.

Quick, play it off.

"Wh--what? No," Eszter chuckles a little too loud, earning a few side glances from students as she continues down the hall. The enhanced can feel her hands getting clammy. "No. Peter and I . . . we're just friends."

Michelle hums in disbelief. "Please," she scoffs, waving her hand. "It's so obvious. You're practically giving him the heart-eyes whenever he talks."

Eszter has never felt more uncomfortable about something than this. She was almost embarrassed. Had Peter ever known, and then he doesn't reciprocate the feelings, Eszter would feel so destroyed; not to mention, the enhanced couldn't take the rejection now that two of her friends know. With Michelle knowing, Eszter can see her friend using this information to her advantage. Like blackmail.

Michelle might be Eszter's friend, but the girl has some tricks up her sleeves.

"Okay, now you're just making things up."