13. 𝗶𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝗱𝗮𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗰𝘂𝗲

ESZTER TUCKS THE PILLOW INTO HER CHEST, HUGGING IT CLOSE TO HER. Today was another day the enhanced had skipped school, and with approval, Pepper thought she'd allow Eszter a day out of school just this time. In fact, Pepper has been worried for the girl's well-being, and it has become challenging once Eszter went silent, hiding away in her bedroom. With many failed attempts to talk to Eszter, Pepper had realized that she would get nothing as the enhanced would continue to shut her out.

The enhanced was still upset, but unlike the other reasoning for her disappointment, Eszter has a fit of strong anger for herself; being on power lockdown is slowly becoming a problem, but nothing Eszter can do to convince everyone that she can be civil.

Continuously, Eszter's phone blares with new notifications--most of them being from her three best friends, who are wondering where she was. However, Eszter switches her phone on silent and flipping it on its front, sliding it underneath her pillow. Not once did Eszter glance at her phone, not bothering to check her text messages.

Eszter stayed in the darkroom all morning. Never once did she leave her room ever since she had gotten home last night. Occasionally, Pepper would check on her until she had to leave for work; then Happy would take over, checking on the enhanced while the woman is away. However, Eszter still was silent, barely giving the man anything.

She knows she shouldn't think too much into this, but it was disheartening for Eszter to reminisce about the previous event.

Another knock on the door forces Eszter to open her eyes, disturbing her little pity party; the enhanced groans quietly. Instead, she hopes to ignore the person, not feeling the mood to speak. Eszter can only assume that it was Happy checking in on her again, which he had done about an hour ago. Closing her eyes, Eszter sighs as she falls back to sleep but was interrupted by another impatient knock.

"Go away, Happy," she rolls her eyes, becoming annoyed. "You can tell Pepper that I'm fine. I just want to be alone."

As if they didn't listen, the door opens. Eszter groans as light sheds through the darkness of the enhanced's bedroom. Sitting up from her bed, she was about to kick Happy out when she freezes at the sight of someone other than the man she had assumed--the enhanced stares at the man in silence.

"Yeah, uh, not Happy," Tony offers a shy smile, trying to ease the moment.

Eszter furrows her brows ever so slightly, narrowing her eyes as she examines the man. Standing before her, Tony held a bouquet and a teddy bear, which caused Eszter to perk a brow at it.

"What are you doing here?"

Tony purses his lips. "I, uh, I got you these," he refers to the flowers and bear by wiggling them. He walks forward and gives Eszter the gifts, but the enhanced doesn't accept them. The billionaire bobs his head awkwardly before placing them on the bed beside Eszter, who keeps her eyes trained on Tony with skepticism. "I heard about what happened last night. The . . . Decathlon--that's it."

"I didn't think you were keeping updated about what's going on," Eszter suddenly scoffs.

Tony frowns, a bit awkward. "Of course, I do. I keep tabs on both my kids--Peter . . . I meant Peter."

Eszter contorts her face. "Is that all you came here for? I'm busy."

"Oh, I'm sure laying in your room, in the dark and having your own pity party for one is quite the handful," Tony sniffs, crinkling his nose. "And what is that smell? Did you even shower?"

"If you're here to make fun of me, now really isn't the time," Eszter lowers her voice, void of emotion.

Tony sighs in defeat, placing his hands on his hips as he takes a moment to himself. Maybe he shouldn't have said that. Tony walks closer to the bed, gesturing if he could sit down to which Eszter allowed. Then, he sits on the edge of the bed, interlocking his fingers on his lap.