10. 𝗮 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗽 𝘁𝗼 𝗱.𝗰.

"ARE YOU SURE THAT'S EVERYTHING?"

Pepper has been pestering Eszter all day about whether she had everything she needed. Although the enhanced was very grateful for Pepper, she didn't need her babying her every second. The blonde woman was walking around her large home with Happy trailing behind her, carrying the suitcase and handbag for Eszter as they were about to head out. They were going to drop Eszter off at the school, but Pepper was a little nervous about letting the enhanced go; always worried for the girl, becoming like a mother to Eszter; Pepper has always been afraid to let the enhanced go out in a world that despises her.

Nevertheless, Pepper knew that today was a big day--even though Eszter had mentioned that the competition wasn't today, the woman was still excited for her. However, Eszter was most likely not going on the panel today, letting Michelle take her place as the enhanced hadn't been in the right state of mind; she didn't want to mess things up for the team, not after everything that's been happening. Luckily, Mr. Harrington had agreed, allowing Eszter to sit this one out.

Eszter rolls her eyes, dropping her phone onto her lap. "Yes, Pep. You literally made me a checklist of what I need," she grins playfully, shaking her head as the woman walks into the large living room.

Pepper's heels click under her feet, the sound echoes in the house. She had a Bluetooth earpiece, and the blue light was blinking. "No, Jerry, I wasn't talking to you. I don't care, cancel it," Pepper presses the button, hanging up. "Sorry about that. Are you ready?"

"Yeah," Eszter locks her phone, pushing herself from the couch and follow Pepper out of the house.

"Have you spoken to Tony?"

Eszter hadn't felt comfortable enough with talking about Tony, especially when it comes to Pepper; the enhanced hadn't mentioned much about Tony, nor did she like the idea of talking to Pepper about it because Eszter knew what the woman would say--don't be angry, Pepper would say, he misses you, too. But Pepper is aware of the fight between Eszter and Tony, one that leads to the dampener being attached around her neck once again; and of course, Pepper was just as upset, but she didn't like that her two favorite people are ignoring each other. Considering they're all living together, Pepper didn't want Eszter and Tony to slowly hate one another.

The enhanced clears her throat uncomfortably, climbing into the backseat with Pepper. Running her hands down the dark-colored skirt, resting her hands on her knees as she scrunched the cloth in her fists.

"Uh," Eszter stammers, stalling for a quick thought. There was no reason to explain herself. Eszter was pretty certain that Pepper knows she hadn't spoken to Tony. "No . . . I haven't."

Pepper frowns sadly. She misses how they used to be close at the beginning of their friendship and how they acted like father and daughter. Pepper loved the sight; it sprung some hope and a giddy feeling in the woman's chest, her heart swelling at the thought of Tony being a father to someone close to being their kid. And maybe this will spring up a new conversation for Pepper and Tony.

"I know you're angry with him, but you know why he did what he did," Pepper says with a soft tone, careful like she was walking on sharp glass.

"He lied to me," Eszter shifts, glancing at Pepper with absurdity. "Many times already. I can't forgive him for that."

Pepper pauses. "And that was wrong of him, but he didn't do it to hurt you, Eszter," the woman sighs, crushed that the two were continuing their silent treatment. "You know how Tony is, but he loves you like his own. I love you as my own."

Eszter looks at Pepper, heart-clenching at the mixed feelings. Just the mere fact that Pepper considers her as a daughter was . . . strange, maybe even good. Eszter hadn't had a mother since Iryna passed away at a young age. Even though Wanda posed at the girl's mother-figure, the eldest enhanced hadn't been the greatest as she was merely a kid herself. Still, Eszter felt loved by a parent that she hasn't felt in years.