21. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗲-𝗶𝗻 𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲

"COOL MOVIE, HUH?"

Eszter and Peter are sitting in the car of the drive-in date, only the two of them as themselves, two normal kids. However, neither of them could deny the nervous feeling in their bellies, knowing that their relationship continues to blossom; Peter and Eszter were giddy and filled with such a rush. It was the best feeling the enhanced could ever feel. She loved it, craved it. It continued to block out the bad thoughts, and Eszter didn't want it to go away.

Now, Eszter ignored the movie as she rehearses her lines, practicing how she would ask Peter out.

I know we've been friends for a long time, and I know, and you know that we both have feelings for each other. So, I was wondering that . . . maybe we--

Ugh, no. It sounds horrible.

Peter, I've liked you for as long as I can remember, and I've been working up the courage to finally ask you out--

No, no. That's not it.

These past few months have been hard and difficult for me, and all I feel is this heavy feeling in my chest. But being with you, it's relaxing--

But that's not entirely true. As soon as Peter thinks about Tony, Eszter wants to flee. She hates the feeling she absorbs from Peter, making her want to run away and hide, but at the same time, Eszter loves his presence. It's his emotions that push her away sometimes. Eszter hates this.

"E?"

Eszter blinks. "What?" She hadn't noticed the slight tone in her voice.

Peter looks nervous, but it wasn't a good feeling. "I asked if it was a cool movie," he began to grow panic, which was starting to freak Eszter out. "You don't like it, do you? I'm sorry. I should've let you pick the move."

"It's fine, Peter," Eszter musters the words. Her voice was filled with a void, but the enhanced attempts to add some emotion; however, it was exhausting. "I was just distracted."

"Oh."

"But I do like the movie. Nice pick."

"Thanks."

Something was off about Eszter, and Peter knows it, but he couldn't read her mind, nor could he feel her emotions. Sometimes, he wishes he could. Eszter can be closed-off and shield her expression easily, preventing Peter from understanding what his friend is going through. However, Eszter couldn't hide the monotonous voice as she fills his ears with the broken voice.

However, Peter was in his own broken world, and if he wanted to help Eszter heal, he'd need to heal himself before anything. Sometimes, he's always put others first, and right now, he felt the need to help himself first. Maybe it was selfish, but Peter couldn't help but feel a little selfish.

Nonetheless, the teens were still nervous and maybe a little excited--underneath all that sadness. Eszter couldn't deny the giddiness.

"Are you excited about the trip?" Peter quietly wonders. The movie nearly drowns out his words, but Eszter managed to catch it. "Never been out of the country before."

Eszter hums. "I've never been to Italy or even Paris, so it'll be a fun experience," she nods her head subtly, flashing a gentle smile. "Don't tell anyone, but Pepper had to make me a fake Passport."

Peter furrows his brows. "Why? Can't you buy one?"

"No, not really," Eszter catches the confusion in Peter's stare. "I came to America illegally, and on top of that, I participated in an illegal experiment with a terrorist group." Eszter grins bitterly, and the anger was starting to heat her skin. "I thought my life couldn't get any worse, but each day, I'm proven wrong. Guess that's karma for joining Hydra, huh?"