18. 𝘀𝗮𝗱 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗯

TROUBLE WAITS FOR ESZTER AT HOME. Once Peter dropped the enhanced at her house, she dreaded walking through the front door, knowing Pepper was waiting for her arrival, most likely aware of Eszter's little escapade--no doubt, Happy informed her. Eszter attempted to avoid the discipline she will receive, adding a few compliments on Pepper's hair and how amazing the woman looks; however, Pepper wasn't having it.

     A mixture of anger and concern fighting its way on Pepper's features, but the woman was rightfully upset that Eszter had put herself in danger. For a second, Eszter was almost certain that she had seen Pepper's eye twitch in frustration and a vein popping out from her forehead.

     Eszter decides to escape to her room.

     "Don't walk away from me, Eszter," Pepper shouts as she trails after the teenager. "We need to talk about what happened."

     "Not really," Eszter says with a soft tone. The enhanced was covered from head to boots in dirt and smoke, scrapes and bruises; Eszter can see why Pepper was so upset.

     "Uh, yeah, we do. You can't do something like this and get away with it. That was stupid and selfish and dangerous. If anything were to happen--"

     Eszter abruptly turns around, tears swimming in her eyes as her patience was wearing thin and her head throbbing. The words spilled past her lips without a second thought, and Eszter didn't process what she wanted to say before he let them out.

     "Why do you care? Why does anyone care? I have nothing to lose now, Pepper," Eszter exclaims, teary-eyed. "I almost died in Washington. I lost my brother. I lost my sister. I lost my parents. I lost . . ." the enhanced wheezes out. She couldn't hold it in as her body racks with the sobs Eszter had tried to hold in, but her emotions were letting loose. ". . . myself . . ."

     Pepper nearly cried at the sight, but she needed to hold herself together for Eszter, wanting to be strong for the enhanced. Knowing that Eszter feels this way deep down hurts Pepper; the teenager rarely talks about how she's feeling, and although Eszter was overwhelmed, Pepper got a glimpse inside her head.

     Instead of arguing, Pepper cools down and opens her arms, beckoning the girl. "Come here," Eszter chokes on a sob before embracing Pepper, suddenly feeling a little better. "I know that I might be annoying you with--with my constant hovering--" Pepper sniffles. "--over your shoulder, but believe me when I say that I do it because I care about you."

     Eszter stares blankly at the wall. "I know you do. I'm--I'm not annoyed. I love that I have someone who actually cares about me," the enhanced holds her breath when a lump forms in her throat, holding in the new set of tears. "You're like a mom to me, Pep, and--are you crying?"

     Pepper waves her hand dismissively, but her face scrunched up as the blonde woman wipes underneath her eyes. "No, no . . . yeah, I am. Come here."

     The two chuckle through their tears but continue to console one another. Pepper had always done everything she can for Eszter, wanting to give her the life she deserves while being under the military radar. Hearing those words come from Eszter was like a melody to her ears.

      "Thank you for always caring about me."

     Pepper presses a kiss on Eszter's head. "Always."

💜

     Walking down the hall, Eszter was with her best friends while Ned babbles on his excitement about the previous night. The only thing Eszter does is laugh at his reaction, but grimaces in pain, and Peter listens silently. She fondly shakes her head, listening to Ned ramble.