08. 𝘂𝗹𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝗰𝗿𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗲𝗿

THE THREE BEST FRIENDS WALKED THEIR WAY TO SCHOOL IN THE MORNING. Unfortunately, Peter was left to carry all of his books due to another one of his backpacks being stolen--turns out, his webs aren't as protective as he had hoped; never mind the fact that Peter made sure his backpack was leveled on the wall, away from any way of snuffing it. However, his plan was futile as Peter was left with nothing to carry his homework.

After discovering Peter's lost backpack, Eszter couldn't help but make fun of him once she found him taking the walk of shame. Eszter had lost count of how many backpacks, though she believes Peter must've gone through five different backpacks in only a few weeks; the boy has a bad habit of leaving his backpack somewhere along the streets of Queens. It was bound to happen. Each time Peter appeared with a new backpack, Eszter disciplined her best friend like a mother, but the enhanced realized that he would never learn from his mistakes.

Peter is merely distracted with wanting to be the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man."

"Why don't you just give me your bag before you go out? Or give it to Ned, now," Eszter chuckles deeply, crossing her arms across her chest as she walks on the other side of Peter. The enhanced hadn't bothered to help Peter carry his books. "Seriously, dude, how many times are you gonna have to get your backpack stolen for you to realize you're an idiot?"

Offended, Peter furrows his brows at the insult. "Rude," he grumbles under his breath. Shifting the books in his arms, Peter was unbothered by the weight of the textbooks. "I can't. I usually store my suit inside and like to throw my clothes inside it. I have to be out there right after school."

Eszter tried to get Peter to listen to her, but her friend is a little too stubborn for her liking. Although it wasn't a big deal--merely a backpack--but Eszter didn't like the way Peter was irresponsible. He tends to let Spider-Man take the upper hand, making him feel like he shouldn't worry about himself.

"Ned, tell him," Eszter interjects, hoping for backup.

However, Ned didn't deliver. "You got bit by a spider?" Eszter groans in annoyance. Ned was more intrigued by the idea of another one of his best friends being a superhero--Spider-Man at that. "Can it bite me? Well, it probably would've hurt, right? Whatever. Even if it did hurt, I'd let it bit me. Maybe. How much did it hurt?"

Peter stares at Ned's side profile, a blank look. "The spider's dead, Ned."

A little curious, Eszter glances over to Ned. "What about my powers? How come you wouldn't want something like mine?"

"Eh, it's okay," Ned wobbles his hand from side to side, not entirely impressed. "I mean, it's cool that you can move things with your mind, but to be Spider-Man--" Eszter stares with a deep frown, nearly glaring at Ned, but the enhanced tries not to be offended. "--now that's cool."

Exasperated and unable to contain her hurt feelings, Eszter squeaks. "What? My powers are way better this his," she juts her thumb to Peter, but then she glances at him, finding Peter staring at her with raised brows. "No offense."

Across the street, barriers blocked off the street corner with caution tape wrapping around a building, a familiar building that Eszter recognizes. A few police officers were standing just in front of the blue barriers, some speaking with a few civilians. Eszter stops just beside the boys, and her eyes widen at the scene before her--the buildings were torn and burnt, shredded apart by something peculiar. The building was destroyed; burnt marks were trailing the front of the building, and the store from across was also torn apart from the aftermath.

Peter hadn't bothered to mention the fact that he was caught in the fight, unsure of whatever had occurred here.

Concerned, Eszter spins on her toes to glare at Peter, but the boy already knew what was coming. "Don't look at me like that, Eszter," he clicks his tongue, looking away from the enhanced.