24. 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗱

"ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO GO?"

Today was the day for their flight to the airport, giving a group of students the chance to travel to Europe and explore more of the world outside of the States. And for one, Eszter was ecstatic to cross the world with her friends and leave her hero life behind for a while. A chance of Eszter and Peter having a normal week together as themselves and possibly letting the couple have a romantic date in Paris.

Eszter had completed her packing last night with the help from Wanda and Morgan, but the enhanced had to go through her suitcase to remove much of the little girl's picks--nothing matched, much to Eszter's dismay. Nevertheless, Eszter enjoyed the small moment of bonding time she had earned with Morgan, especially as the little girl was picking clothes for her dates with Peter. Growing fond of Eszter's boyfriend, Morgan approved of Peter and allowed the two to date--although it wouldn't be her choice, Eszter appreciated the concern.

On that note, Morgan and Eszter had grown close since the day they had met, and from the course of living together, the two were like sisters. Their connection didn't surprise Pepper because she had a strong feeling the two would like one another; the only surprising part was how alike they were, which baffled the woman. Strangely, the girls remind Pepper so much of Tony.

It was funny to Pepper.

They were almost like biological sisters, but only because they weren't blood-related didn't deny that Eszter and Morgan are definitely sisters by heart.

Currently, the small family is having breakfast one last time before Eszter, and the Starks depart, but not forever; once Eszter returns from her trip, she'll be meeting with Happy to take her to Georgia through their private jet. Pepper offered to take Eszter to the airport, but she informed the woman that Wanda would drop her off.

Eszter playfully rolls her eyes. "Your mom is such a worrier," she says to Morgan.

"Mommy says that's the job of being a mommy," she nods dramatically, popping a piece of scrambled eggs into her mouth as she beams.

"I was just asking. I'm allowed to be a little concerned."

"And I appreciate it, Pep, but you don't have to worry bout me," Eszter reassures. She barely eats her food, from what Pepper has gathered, and as far as she knows, Pepper knows Eszter wasn't fine. "I get that after the whole . . . Blip might've scared you, but I swear, I'm fine. It's just a little vacation. I'll be home after a week."

Scrambling for more excuses, Pepper continues. "Well, what about what happened at the charity? People will recognize you, or they won't let you cross the country because of your passport?" Pepper worries. Eszter doesn't respond right away, causing the woman to frown dejectedly as a horrible feeling brew in her chest. "I don't mean to annoy you, Eszter, but I'm just looking out for you."

"Funny you said that," Eszter suddenly drops her fork in annoyance, letting it clang against the glass plate. Pepper furrows her brows in confusion as she watches Eszter intertwine her fingers before laying her chin over them, staring at her with a strange look. "Wanda and I met with Mr. Martin the other day."

Pepper falters and tries to cover up, but Eszter could sense it. "You . . . did?"

Eszter narrows her eyes at Pepper, already inside Pepper's emotions as she could feel it changing erratically--one minute the woman is stressed and worried, the next, Pepper felt betrayed and hurt with a hint of sadness.

"Yeah, we wanted to see what we can do for Wanda to take me in her custody," instantly, Eszter felt the nervousness and the guilt bubbling. The lump formed in her throat as she could feel her eyes stinging with tears. "I know you didn't talk to Mr. Martin."