15. 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀

THE POUNDING MUSIC BOOMS THROUGH THE GYMNASIUM WITH PRIDE. Eszter could feel the vibration coursing through her bones. The enhanced trailed behind a line of students, leading her into the gymnasium; Eszter is greeted by a mass of students and pumping music. Her friends were hidden behind the sea of people, making it more difficult for Eszter to find her friends than she had anticipated. But as she quickly scans the building, she catches a glimpse of the decorations all around.

Striding forward and into the crowd, Eszter trudges through the teenagers, occasionally bumping into another as one would unexpecting bump into her, causing a chain reaction. Nevertheless, Eszter does her best to squeeze by, barely excusing herself as they couldn't hear over the loud music playing.

Finding an empty spot, Eszter stood in the opening and continued to search for her friends, and as her green eyes shifted among the gym, the enhanced finds Michelle standing alone. Sighing in relief, Eszter continues forward as she flashes her friend a smile. Michelle wore a yellow dress that settles near the knees, hair in its natural state--curly--as it was tucked in a bun.

"Hey, you showed up," Michelle grins upon noticing Eszter.

"Yeah," she continues her search for her other friends, though Eszter sees Liz dancing with her friends; however, Peter wasn't there. "Where's Ned?"

"I don't know," Michelle responds in a bored tone, looking away as she begins to pick at her nails. "He went to get some drinks, I think."

Eszter nods. "Oh, okay," then she looks back at Michelle, grinning. "You look cute, Michelle. I love your dress."

Michelle glances down at her dress, forgetting what she was wearing before flicking her eyes up at Eszter. "Thanks. I just grabbed whatever I could find in my closet."

"I'm surprised you had anything like that in your closet."

Michelle scoffs. "I'll have you know that I have bright clothing and all that crap in my closet," Eszter giggles. "Gosh, Eszter, have a little faith in my style."

"You're right. Sorry for ever doubting you, MJ."

Then, Michelle juts her chin. "There's Ned."

Eszter turns around in the direction Michelle pointed at, seeing Ned walking toward them with two cups filled with juice. He walked a bit slow as he was attempting not to spill any of the liquid, being as careful as he can.

It hadn't occurred to the enhanced that she never bothered to inform Ned that she never asked Peter to the dance, nor does Ned know that Eszter mentioned that she was going with Flash. A lie she had sputtered to Peter, and still, the enhanced had no idea why she said it. Eszter doesn't know how Ned would react, but she is certain the boy will be pretty bummed.

Ned beams at the sight of Eszter. "Hey, Eszter! I didn't know you were here yet; I would've gotten you a drink, but my hands are kind of full," he apologizes as he gestures to the two drinks in his hands.

However, Eszter waves him off. "It's okay. I just got here."

"Wow, Eszter," Ned finally puts the drinks down and takes a moment to admire his best friend. "You look amazing. I've never seen you in a dress before."

Eszter chuckles, lighting dragging her palms across the fabric of her dress. "Thanks, Ned."

"Where's Peter? I haven't seen him yet. Did you ask him? Are you guys dating?" Ned spews like a river, but his eyes were wide like a child on a sugar rush.

"Whoa, whoa. Calm down. I don't know where Peter is because I didn't ask him," Ned gapes, but Eszter merely strays her gaze away. "I was about to ask him, but . . . things happen, I guess."