MARI (EDITED)

I must not lose sight of why I am here. I must get Ezra back. One way or the other. I will succeed. "Surely you don't have to be a freelance mercenary," she begged in a sense for Emre to see the light and perhaps force him down another route. She was looking at him with those sultry sapphire eyes. Emre had said there was an irresistible beauty trapped in those beamers. "You must have some talent?" She put the question to him desperately. "You know, something that doesn't mean you have to do terrible things. I for one believe in you." Her hand reached for his. "You are a good person deep down. I know you are!"

He took her hand in his and left it on her lap. "Like I said," he mused quietly. "in my country, a man has to survive if he does not, he - "

"Dies!" She snatched the words from his mouth. "I know. I get it. And I can also forgive you for taking Ezra. If you help me get her back that is."

"I said I would I - "

"I'm not finished," she cut him of once again. Emre had to hold his tongue as he reached for another cigarette. He held up a hand in an apologetic manner. "I know you have a life to live, a sick gran to look after, but you must have a talent surely. Something that you're passionate about. Talk to me?" She implored him to see the light. She also stood to her feet recognising it was nigh on time to go. It was Emre who reminded her. Half an hour ago in fact.

"Let me tell you a story. When I was a boy, I was bullied, a lot all the time in fact. I was not tall or dashing or smart I had not talents. I just. . . did not fit in, I was a nobody. Then Sultan Ramzeez's soldiers caught me stealing food for my gran. A loaf, can you believe. My parents were in a coma and were as good as dead, I was as you say," he swirled his wrist around looking for the words. "The breadwinner. I pleaded for my life and swore to serve the Ishtar name in any way I could. The good Ramzeez gave me a choice. Become a mercenary or lose both my hands. You can guess which I chose. I threw myself at Ramzeez's feet and begged for mercy. I said I would do anything to serve the Ishtar name. Which I have done. . . faithfully. Until now that is."

"When we get Ezra back, come with me, bring your gran. There are places in Breton we can go. I have friends I - "

"Ah, Mari. . . if only I met a girl like you when I was young," he took a drag of his cigarette. "I could have been so much more. The least I can do is help you get your daughter back. Its only right."

"Your soul is not dammed yet," Mari informed him. With this news a smile came to his face. "So, can you really get me into the palace?"

"I do my best," Emre told her. "I cannot do more than that."

"Will there be much security around the palace?" She asked. Mari felt apprehensive. What the two were going to do was dangerous. She wanted to be prepared for any and every scenario. "You know," she said. "Will there be many guards or any Seasonal's?"

"There will be many armed guards," Emre had repeated this, but he was happy to tell her again seemingly. "As I said, the Sultan is in Zecosia so his Seasonal guards will most likely be with him. . . I think."

He thinks! That is not overly reassuring. "So other than the guards in and around the palace and perhaps a Seasonal or two. Will there be any other threats?" She asked him. She didn't feel threatened by Norms, not really, but their guns, on the other hand, made her feel uneasy. In truth, she just wanted to know what she was up against.

"Not exactly," Emre replied.

She knew Emre was not telling her everything. "What other threats will we face?" Mari asked sternly. "And dont lie to me!" Mari could only hope she had earned Emre's trust. She trusted him - to a point. For the previous hour and a bit, they were talking about Ezra mostly. Emre had told her his one regret was not settling down to have a family of his own. Mari in a seductive manner had informed him that it was not too late. They had bonded and both felt comfortable with each other. They said so themselves.