MARI (EDITED)

Mari had barely slept a wink, her eyes were red and puffy, she was crying all night, crying for herself and Ezra, the daughter she might never see again. Down in the dungeon, however, she was not alone. A crazy man called Yasin Habib had kept her awake most of the night with his ramblings. He kept muttering, "she is coming," repeatedly, that was all Mari understood, everything else Yasin spoke was complete and utter gibberish. Everything but, "she is coming." It was cryptic to say the least.

In a cell next to hers was a man called Sadiq, he had claimed to be the Sultans younger brother, Mari didn't really believe him, but his kind words eased her somewhat. She talked about the beauty of Emirulore the place she was from and had almost forgotten. Sadiq had said it was a place he would have liked to visit.

"Sadiq," Mari called for her neighbour as she moved closer to the front of her cell, but the chains restricted her from going too far.

"Yes, Mari," Sadiq eventually replied he had such a nice voice, but he did sound weak.

"So you were the Sultans younger brother?" Mari asked him, hoping to pick up the conversation from last night. Sadiq had suggested the time might go faster for her if she was told his backstory. She agreed.

"I was his right-hand man, his sworn guard, leader of his legion," Sadiq informed her.

"How did you end up here then?"

"Selezar Krulekai," Sadiq said a name and spat.

Again Yasin interrupted the conversation by making cowering noises and saying, "she is coming," repetitively, laughing hysterically.

"It's alright Habib," Sadiq called out trying to calm Yasin down with words alone. Eventually, Yasin did simmer down and he continued to mutter gibberish.

"What did he do?" Mari asked, backing her head against the wall staring at the only torch in the room. It was all to dismal down here. Before Sadiq could mount an answer, the sound of a creaky gate was heard and a group of guards came in, seven in all, three of them held a tray with food on it. One guard opened Mari's cell, the creaky gate opened, and he left a tray on the stone floor. Mari wasted no time whatsoever in eating. It was stale bread and bland porridge. Hunger was just beginning to get the better of her. Sadiq had told her he had not eaten in four days.

There was a commotion from the opposite cell. Yasin had flung his faeces at one of the guards and was laughing like a maniac. Mari had stopped eating when she witnessed several guards enter Yasin's cell. Three of the guards began beating the shit out of poor Yasin, he was wailing so loud it could wake the dead and Mari felt sorry for him for the beating was so vicious. She could make out the guards kicking him when he was curled up on the floor in the corner of his cell. One of the guards had chucked Yasin's food into his chamber pot, this made Mari feel sick, but she was so hungry she continued eating.

Eventually, the cruel guards left.

"Yasin," Sadiq called out a couple of times.

There was a moan from Yasin's cell, Mari could see him stirring from his beating. "What?" Yasin asked he was chuckling to himself at a joke only he knew.

"Here," Sadiq threw him over his bread. Yasin kindly accepted but didn't even say thanks.

"So you left me with a cliff-hanger," Mari eventually picked up the conversation from where they left off. She quickly finished her porridge and wisely kept the bread for later. She would need it she figured. Rationing would be pivotal.

"Oh," Sadiq replied with his mouth full. He was probably so hungry the bland porridge probably tasted as good as a juicy steak.

"Why were you thrown in here if you are the Sultan's brother?"