ABEL (EDITED)

Abel arose from his slumber, figuring it was around dawn because the birds were still chirping away. He remembered the dream he had the night before. He couldn't remember anything in detail, but he heard a faint voice say, "wake up." Abel did, in fact, wake up when he heard that voice. Whoever it was.

Just as Abel grabbed his clothes to get dressed the handkerchief that Raziel had carried fell out of his pocket. He almost forgot about it. Carefully opening the handkerchief he peered at the piece within. He observed it closely, it was circular with jagged ends, and a small hallmark was barely visible. It looked like a part of a small watch of some description. Why did Raziel value this so much? He then neatly placed the item back in the handkerchief and folded it up and set it aside on the polished counter. He put on his trousers and placed the handkerchief back into his pocket.

Eventually, after a trip to the restroom, Abel made his way downstairs. The first thing he noticed was a sombre atmosphere. Rhian was there he looked very glum, Madraban was also sitting down. Abel noted Martha and Seth were not present. "Are the happy couple still in bed?" Abel asked in a blithely manner as he stretched his limbs.

"Take a seat Abel," a despondent Rhian urged him. This does not sound good. Abel knew by Rhian's tone alone that all was not well. Rhian and Madraban looked melancholy.

"What's up?" Abel asked as he took a seat beside the albino on the couch.

"It's Martha," Rhian said his voice low almost trembling.

"What about her?"

"She-she passed," Rhian regretfully admitted with tears welling in his eyes.

"Dead?" Abel guessed, "but how?" He couldn't believe it. It was only yesterday she was so full of vigour enjoying and embracing life as she got older.

"Heart attack," Madraban spoke on behalf of Rhian. "A peaceful enough way to go. She passed in her sleep, in her lover's arms."

"Damn," was all Abel could bring himself to say. Damn indeed. Abel looked rather low-spirited as he lowered his chin to his chest. A pessimistic atmosphere would bring down even the happiest person in Talamh. Abel felt sorry for those who knew Martha well. "But how?" Abel asked again, yearning to know. "She seemed so full of energy yesterday I mean for someone her age that is."

"Maybe it's for the best," Rhian explained. "These last few months have been dreadfully difficult for her." The badger reflected as he rested his head on his humanoid paw. "She had cancer you see," the badger sobbed. Abel had a notion that she had the big C, her bald pate hinted that she did, but it was never brought up in conversation, until now that is.

There was a moment of silence then Abel proceeded to ask, "where is my brother? Where is Seth?" He still found it peculiar that his brother looked like his Grandad.

"He is out," Rhian told him. "He took a shovel with him at sun up."

"I'm going to find him," Abel stood to his feet.

"Sure," was the rather mute reply from both Rhian and Madraban who were coming to terms with this dire news.

What a tragic way to start the day. He had never known death before, not really, but now he had experienced it in two days. It hurt. "Where might I find him?" Abel asked. He had no idea where to go, but knew he had to comfort his brother in his time of need. That much he knew.

"Try Mammoth-Rock," Rhian instructed. "Go south west and follow the daffodils. That would be my bet."

"Right," Abel said as he grabbed his combat jacket. "I'll see you then. In a bit."

"G'luck," was the downbeat farewell as he departed the cabin.

The morning had dawned cold and clear. Abel pulled up the collar of his combat jacket. As Abel walked into the woods, he saw many a Manimal walking to the cabin, each of them looked glummer than the next. Heads were low arms wrapped around shoulders in a consolidating manner. Martha must have been loved and respected by all who dwelled in this enchanted woodland.