Spontaneous

The next month was probably one of the best. I'd grown to love spending time at the studio with Conor and Kells and everyone else. It had become part of my routine to just go there whenever, listen to Kells record, hang out with the guys, I'd even given feedback on a couple of songs. Being around them all just felt natural. It was fun, boys were so much better to hang out with than girls. Sure, they were annoying as hell sometimes, but they didn't have the typical bitchiness, competitiveness and toxicity that most girl groups-or the ones I had been in- typically had.
"I have a longer lecture today, so I don't think I'll be at the studio until like 2 ish," I told Conor today
"Seriously, you're still coming even though the boys went back to Cleveland?" He asked me. The boys going to Cleveland was news to me, let alone them going back to Cleveland.
"What?"
"Yeah, last week was the last day of recording here, he's doing the rest of it in Cleveland," Conor explained to me
"Wait why Cleveland?"
"Because that's where his kid is, that's where he lives. Did he not tell you any of this? You guys seemed super close," Conor was right. I thought we were close, at least, but I thought he lived here, I had no idea he had a kid and now that I thought about it, I didn't know much about him. In fact, I knew absolutely squat about him.
"Um, no we weren't really that close," I lied
"Bullshit! You two were so close, and don't even lie you liked him,"
"No I didn't! As a friend sure, but I wouldn't date him. Besides he has a kid, so he probably has a girlfriend or something," I protested. I didn't like him in that way. At all
"No he doesn't. He's a single dad,"
"Really?"
"You have a crush on him! Conor screamed once again
"Oh my god shut up! I don't have a crush on him, or anyone else. Okay?"
"I don't believe you but okay,"

Conor's allegations were ridiculous. So ridiculous I thought about them all throughout my lecture and didn't take any notes, making me very thankful for google docs and the fact that everyone took notes on google docs so we could all compare. Genius. Anyway, I was still thinking about it on my drive over to the studio. I wanted to go just because I'd had such a good time and I wanted to speak to Conor about this whole situation that might or might not be happening. Actually; it wasn't happening, I just needed to clear my head.

No more stunning recording room for me. Back to the shitty little office. As per usual, I sat on the peeling sofa.
"You know what you said earlier,"
"About you wanting to fuck MGK? Yes, continue,"
"I don't! I just think maybe I kind of wish he was still here, as a friend. You know?"
"Why don't you fly out to see him? You're on your last week before summer, right?" Conor asked me
"Uh, yeah I am. But doesn't it look weird?" I asked him
"No. I'm actually flying out in two days, since about ten minutes ago, so you can just say you came with me,"
I loved everything about that idea. Two months with him? Yes please. I would be able to take time off work since our holidays were unpaid and therefore we had a lot more than most places; I had a lot stored up anyway.
"You know what, why the hell not? I can book some flights last minute,"
"Who even are you? You wouldn't even have considered this a couple months ago and now you're doing it without second thought," Conor said as I got out my laptop to book flights
"I don't know. Do you think he would let me stay with him?" I asked
"Why don't you just call him?"
So that's exactly what I did.

"Devon! Hey, how are you?"
"I'm good," I replied "So I'm actually going to Cleveland with Conor when he flys out to work on your album and I don't actually have a-"
"Come stay with me! My daughter'll love you. I got so many spare rooms in my house, we'll have such a good time!"
"That was actually what I was going to ask, so thank you,"
"No problem," he said "Man we're going to have such a sick time, when are you coming?"
"I'm booking flights right now. There's one in two weeks,"
"Is there nothing sooner?" He asked me
"Well I mean there's one that literally leaves in 2 hours but-"
"Get that one,"
"I don't know. I have to pack, and drive to the airport, and it stops in Colorado and Michigan, so it'll take me ages to get there,"
"Come on Devon, be spontaneous. Be fucking crazy for once, please,"
I thought about it for a minute, spontaneous sticking in my brain a second longer than all the other words in that sentence "You know what, fuck it. See you in a few hours,"

I rushed home to pack, grabbing a suitcase out of a cupboard and stuffing a hell of a lot of clothes in there; it was my intention to stay all summer. I threw my laptop in a backpack along with a charger, a hoodie, sunglasses, and my headphones before rooting through drawers to find my passport, which thankfully was still valid. I was so excited to see Kells again. Sure it had only been a week, but when you spend pretty much every day with someone for a month, you start to miss them after a few days. Something was bound to go wrong, but I was so in the moment, I didn't care. All I knew was that I was going to Cleveland for the summer, and it was going to be the best summer of my life.