Promises

It was the next morning and I was making some breakfast for Colson before meeting Conor for lunch. Colson was recording and editing for the album until the early hours of the morning; I went home around midnight and only woke up when he crawled into bed next to me and put his arms around my waist.

I'd been awake for a few hours at this point, but I figured I'd be all cute and make him breakfast in bed before I left. I fried some bacon and eggs and made him two slices of toast.
"Thank you so much, you're the best," He said when I brought it to him
"Well I'm kind of the wifey type,"
He nodded "When you finish your degree and I can see you properly. Then I'll wife you for real,"
"Two more years of college, but I'm coming in the summer every year. And I'll come for New Years," I added
"Spring break?"
I shook my head "My whole family goes to the Dominican Republic. I'm sorry,"
Watching his face fall broke my heart "No, don't apologise,"
"But I only go for a week so I can see you for a couple of days after. And public holidays I'll come see you. It'll be good. We'll make whatever this is work; I promise," I reassured him "I'm so sorry but my Uber is coming in like two minutes so I need to go," I said
"You can use my car," He said before opening a drawer on the nightstand and handing me keys "I'm kind of not allowed to drive it alone,"
"Wait, you literally drove us to the studio yesterday, why can't you drive it?"
"Because I got my license taken away from me. But I'm taking my test again in a few month, so I have a learners permit," he admitted sheepishly
"Have you actually passed the test?"
"Yeah! I passed second time. But then I got too many points so I got it taken away,"
I shook my head "You're so stupid. But thanks for your car. I'll return her in good shape," I told him
"If she runs out of gas she takes diesel," He said as I walked out of the room.

I met Conor outside the restaurant where we were meeting for lunch and we went inside. He'd made reservations so we got a table pretty quickly. Conor seemed to be bursting to say something, he kept juggling his leg up and down.
"I know we haven't talked in what feels like forever but what has happened in your life in the past month that's made you like this?" I asked him
"Well I mean you're going to find out at some point. 'Promises' is about you," He said. It took a minute for my mind to register what he was talking about before I realised promises was the song Colson was recording yesterday, the one I loved.
Conor was out of his mind "No it's not. Besides how do you even know about us?"
"Us? You two are an us?" Well, I guess he didn't know and I'd just opened a can of worms "I didn't know that! I figured he was just crushing on you, tell me about you two,"
"No not yet. Tell me how you know the song is about me!"
"Because he told me when you were getting us drinks. He was all like 'since she's your best friend I figured I should tell you this song's about her' so then I just assumed he had a crush on you. I didn't realise you two were dating! Devon I need some details,"
It never crossed my mind that the song was about me, I never expected him to write a song about me so this information was insane. "Well we aren't dating. We're just kind of, I don't know how to explain it other than me and him. I guess you could say we're going to do couple stuff, but we aren't a couple," It was a difficult one to explain. Because we weren't a couple or dating; he wasn't my boyfriend, we weren't seeing each other. It was just us liking each other a lot.
"Why aren't you guys together in that kind of way?" Conor pried. If it was anyone else, I would've told them to mind their own business, but he had been my best friend all my life so I let it slide.
"Because when I have to leave, long distance is going to be to hard because he has a kid and I have college and it was going to hurt to much to make it official and have it end in a month, you know?"
Conor nodded "Yeah I get what you mean. Have you fucked," I nodded "A lot?"
I sighed "See this whole thing started because me and him had a; well we kind of had a friends with benefits type situation going on," I told Conor, cringing massively as I said it out loud.
I watched his jaw drop "What? No you didn't!"
I nodded, mortified I was telling him this "I can't imagine you doing that. So how many times have you done it with him being in this couple-but-not with him?"
"Only once. The couple-but-not actually happened pretty much two days ago,"
"Before that?" He asked. I thought back to *that* afternoon "Oh no you're smiling. 5? 10?"
"I can't remember an exact number, but around 10,"
"You are crazy," Conor said
"I know,"