Airport

Last time I was at the airport I was experience extreme excitement. Now, I was experiencing extreme fear. I barely said a word to Kells when he drove me to the airport because I felt physically sick.
"It's going to be fine, okay Dev? I promise you," Kells said, squeezing my hand at a traffic light. I nodded "Mhm," So many thoughts were circulating through my mind. What if he died? What if he died before I got to the hospital and I didn't get to say goodbye? Every since new thought that came into my head made me feel more and more nauseous. The uncomfortable silence was broken by Astrid calling me, again.
"Please tell me it's good news,"
"It's not bad it's just not good either. His coronary artery had a spasm and that's what caused it. He's been in the operating theatre for three hours now. They have to do two procedures. There's an even chance right of him making it right now. How soon's your flight?"
"In about an hour. We're pulling up to the airport now,"
"Who the hell are you with? Just tell me later. When do you think you'll get to LAX?"
"Like, half ten?"
"Okay. When Jordan is dropping the kids back home I'll ask him to pick you up on the way," Astrid told me
"Okay. Who's looking after them?" Astrid had two kids. A little girl, Callie, who was 5 and Nathan, who was six. They were traditional names, compared to what our parents named us but Astrid grew up to be very conventional. She has a nine to five job, takes Nathan to soccer on the weekends, does soul cycle on Wednesday's with her other mom friends. It's kind of scary. Jordan is the same. Except he doesn't get Wednesdays off. However if the Lakers are playing, him and his childhood best friend Mike always go see them. They alternate paying for the season tickets. I think I'll end up being the same. I like the idea of it all.
"Jordan's mom. She was visiting anyway, so it worked out," Jordan's mom lived in Oregon, where Jordan grew up, but he moved out here for college, which is where he met my sister. They were both studying in San Diego, and met through mutual friends. Jordan was now a middle school English teacher and Astrid worked in the marketing department for some online magazine.
"Okay, well I'm going to go because I need to check in but I'll call you when I'm in duty free," I explained
"Okay, I'll talk to you soon,"

I almost didn't want to leave. It just felt like leaving Ohio would make it more real. Kells gave me a hug
"Call me when you land, okay?"
"I will. I'll come back as soon as I can, I promise,"
"What? No. Spend time with your family, don't rush back to be with me. We've got a whole two months, stay with them for a while,"
"Okay," I said, giving him one last hug. I was going to miss him so much.

Travelling by plane was become too frequent for me. I didn't hate security anymore. I had been doing the whole security shebang too many times in one month now. I got to duty free and bought myself a water and some candy for Callie and Nathan. I called Astrid, but Nathan picked up
"Devon!"
"Hey Nathan. How come your mom didn't pick up the phone?"
"Because I was playing games on it. But it's okay she said I could,"
"Right. Do you know where she is?"
"No. Her and Grandma went somewhere, but daddy and Callie are over there," Nathan said. He hasn't quite grasped the idea of phones yet since he thought I could see them
"Can you give the phone to your dad?"
"Okay. Why is Grandad in hospital?" He asked me. Good god. Surely Astrid or Jordan had said something to one of them.
"Grandad's sick at the minute, but he's going to get better," I told him
"'Kay. Daddy, Devon wants to talk to you," I heard him say. In the background I heard Callie say she wanted to speak to me and Jordan telling her she could in a minute.
"Hey Jordan,"
"Hey Dev. What time is your flight getting in?"
"Half ten, Astrid said you could pick me up,"
"Oh, yeah. Sorry I forgot. What was the last you heard?"
"That Dad was in the operating theatre and he had a fifty fifty chance,"
"I don't think much has changed since then. Your mom is doing better now, though. Her and Astrid went to the restaurant I think. Hang on, Callie wants to speak to you,"
I heard some shuffling and passing of Astrid's cell before "Hi Devon!"
"Hey Callie,"
"I miss you,"
"I miss you too," I said "But you know I'm coming to see you soon,"
Callie gasped "When?"
"Tonight. My plane's leaving in a couple of hours,"
"Yaaaaay! Today was my last day of school before the summer! When was your last day?"
"Mine was supposed to be today as well but I left a couple of days early,"
"My friend, Amy did that. Then she went aaall the way to Hawaii! You know, it's my birthday next week,"
I'd completely forgotten about that "Yeah I do. Then how old will you be?"
"I'll be six! And then after summer I'll be in first grade!"
"What?!" I exclaimed "You're getting so grown up!" I heard Callie giggle down the phone, warming my heart "Hey I gotta go, but I'll see you very soon,"
"No! Please stay! Pleaseeee!" She begged
"I need to go to the bathroom! I'm going to see you really soon!"
I heard Callie sigh "Okay. I love you!"
"I love you too,"

I missed Kells. Already. Hadn't left Ohio but still missed him. I didn't want to FaceTime because I looked like an actual potato but I did want to text him
Me: I miss u sm
Mgk😎: I miss u as well but u need to see ur fam
Me: Ik
Me: wyd now
Mgk😎: me nd Cas are going to chipotle
Mgk😎: wild Saturday night of a 28 y/o single dad
Me: u know it ;)
Me: I would die for a chipotle rn
Me: my flights boarding soon I hate planes
Mgk😎: kind of sucks 4 u
Me: it really does
Mgk😎: Cas said she will eat her food in ur honour
Me: tell her she's the best
Mgk😎: her ego is already inflated
Me: haha. I gtg :(((
Mgk😎: safe flight, txt me when u land XX