Moment

I was absolutely bricking it. I hated hearing myself talk, let alone sing and now my voice was going to be put on an actual song. Kells and Slim were the only people there. Slim, because he knew how to do all the technical shit and Kells, who was sitting in the booth with me, for moral support. Ashleigh took Casie to get ice cream, or cake, something like that.
"You ready?" Slim asked me. I nodded and the track blasted through my headphones. Eventually, it got to the part where I was supposed to sing. I sang two words before messing up
"Shit. Sorry, can we do it again?"
"Course. Let me just reset it," Slim said before fiddling with some buttons. I looked over at Kells
"Sorry I fucked it up,"
"You didn't. I don't even know why we stopped. You sounded good," Kells said to me
"No I didn't. I hate you so much for making me do this,"
"Hehe," I laughed at his strange laugh thing "See? Now you're laughing. You'll be fine, even if you do sound bad we can auto tune the hell out of it,"

Eventually I stopped being a little pussy and sung the part. It was worse than I thought when we played it back, I cringed at every word I sang
"Dev you sound fine," Slim said m
"No I hate it. I hate the sound of my voice. You can use the part, but I'll never be able to listen to this song," Kells laughed "Why are you laughing? You're so mean!"
"I'm sorry, you're just being so dramatic. And look," he pressed a few buttons, and then played the track again "Now it sounds nothing like you,"
I listened. He was right, it didn't "That sounds better. Now I might listen to the song when it comes out,"
"I told you. You wanna head out now?" He asked me quietly
"Sure,"
"Slim, we're heading out. See you tonight?"
"You think I'd miss it? That shit about to get lit tonight,"
"Fuck yeah it is," they did their bro handshake thing "See you tonight,"
"What're you doing tonight?" I asked him
"We are going to a party,"
"We?"
"Yep. You're coming with me,"
"Who's party is it?" I asked him
"I don't actually know. He's this guy that works at interscope, and it's basically a free for all on booze and, uh, other substances. It's such a good time, you gotta come," Kells pleaded
"I don't know,"
"Please, Devon! It's so fun, come with us. I know you're shy and all that shit but it's going to be such a good time,"
I rolled my eyes "You can be so fucking persuasive sometimes; but I didn't bring any clothes that I would wear to a party,"
"Then I guess we are going shopping,"

To be honest, I don't think Kells really knew what he was getting himself into. Of course, just like everyone, he knew most girls liked shopping and spent a lot of time deciding but I took it to a whole new level. We'd been in the Urban outfitters changing rooms for the past half hour, and I could tell he was getting bored.
"What do you think about this one?" I asked, stepping out of the changing room in a black dress
"What? Uh, yeah I like that one. Dev we've been to three stores and all the dresses you try on look great on you so can you just pick one so we can go home?"
"Okay, okay I'm sorry. The white one?"
"Oh no, I didn't like that one. And it'll get stained," Kells explained
"Good point. What about the red one?"
"You have about 5 different red ones in there,"
"The wine coloured one, short, strappy back," He looked at my blankly "I'll try it on again,"
"Ughh, Devon! You're killing me,"
"Just you wait till Casie goes to her first homecoming, you'll be in and out of stores for days; and you have to pay for her dress,"
"Oh yeah, that one. That one was my favourite," Kells said "You look hot. You are hot,"
I blushed "Thank you,"
"I'm serious. And also kind of jealous of that guy you're dating,"
I was confused "What guy?"
"Remember one of the first times we hung out at the studio, you called this guy Toby or something and I took you phone?"
"Oh; yeah. Me and Toby aren't dating. We used to go out, but not anymore," I explained to him. There was an indescribable moment where something flickered across his face. It lasted less than a second, but it was unforgettable.
"So, definitely this one?" I asked, trying to bring the conversation back to normal
"Yeah, definitely. I'll just, wait for you outside the store,"