Afterparty for two

I didn't end up seeing the sunrise. I got; preoccupied to say the least. It was a mistake. I enjoyed it, but it was a mistake. I'd had a friends with benefits type situation before, it didn't work out. I had no idea what was going through my mind when I thought 'Hey Devon, here's a great idea. Kiss your friend and temporary roommate, then say you love him and then bang him on a roof'. He was at the studio today, I don't think he actually went to sleep after we got home. I crashed before my head even hit the pillow and now I had the worst hangover of my life as a punishment for all the bad things I did last night. I also knew that Kells and I would be having a very awkward conversation about last night/this morning. I didn't even know what I wanted the outcome to be. Sure we kissed and did other stuff, and that was fun; but I didn't love him. At least, I didn't think I did. No. Of course I didn't, at one point I despised the man! How can you go from hating someone to loving someone in a matter of months? Yes I did kind of have a crush on him for a little bit, but last night was just friends messing about because they were off their fucking heads. That was all it was.

I was still lying on my bed, doing absolutely nothing when Kells came in and plopped down next to me.
"Hungover?" He asked. I nodded. "Me and you both,"
"Was Conor there?" I asked quietly
"Yeah. He said he misses you,"
"Of course he does," okay here we go Devon. I rolled over so we were facing each other "Should we talk about last night?"
"Probably. I meant what I said; about you being awesome," Kells said
"And the other thing?" My phone rang "Oh my god," I muttered. It was my sister, Astrid
"Hello?"
"Dev how soon can you get to Laguna?" I heard my sister say. She was evidently panic ridden, I could hear it in her voice.
"Not soon at all, I'm not in California. Why?" I asked her, starting to grow concerned
"Dad's in the hospital," The words hit me like a tonne of bricks.
"What?"
"He had a heart attack; at work. They're doing surgery on him but they don't know if it'll be successful," Astrid told me
"Oh my god. Are you there?"
"Yeah. Jordan's waiting with Mom to get information from the doctors," Jordan was Astrid's husband of three years "How far away are you?"
"Astrid I'm in Ohio. The soonest I'll be there is tomorrow morning,"
"Ohio? Why are- you know what, doesn't matter. Just please get on the next flight you can,"
"I will, I will. If you get anymore updates call me or text me," I begged her
"Okay. Love you,"
"Love you too, bye," I hung up the phone

"Fuck,"
"What happened?" Kells asked
"My dad had a heart attack,"
"Oh my god, is he going to be okay?"
"We don't know yet," I said, beginning to cry. Kells wrapped me up in his arms "Hey, Hey don't cry. It's okay. He's going to be okay. Just breathe, alright?" I nodded into his shirt, feeling oddly calmed by him "Now what we're going to do is you're going to pack up some clothes and I'm going to book you a flight. Then, we're gonna go to the airport, you're going to go home and see your family and your dad is going to be okay. That sound good to you?"
I nodded again, not wanting him to let go of me. Even though my life was in shambles at the prospect of losing my father, I felt safe and protected in his arms, like nothing bad could happen to me whilst we were like this.

"Dev there's a direct flight tonight, you want me to book it?"
"Yes. How much is the ticket?" I asked Kells, who was sitting at my laptop
"Oh my-"
"How much?" I was scared for what I was about to hear
"Two thousand,"
"Cents?"
"Dollars,"
"Fuck," I didn't know what to do. Of course I needed to go home and be with my family, but I couldn't afford that. "When's the one after that?"
"Tuesday,"
"Oh my god. Two thousand dollars? Two thousand? My flights to come here were so cheap why is this two thousand dollars?"
"It's direct and you still have three hours until you need to be at the airport,"
"Fuck. I'll just have to figure out a way to make it all work,"
"I could pay,"
"What?"
"I could pay. Seriously. You know you're a full time student and I'm a working guy; I can afford it and you need to go see your family right now
"But you have a kid to support, and I'm already staying in your house without paying anything. That's not fair on you,"
"I want to. This is fuckin' stressful for you, an' I don't want you worrying about money 'nd all that shit when you should be focusing on your dad. Please let me pay,"
"Kells you don't-"
"Nope. I'm paying for your ticket,"
"But-"
"I don't care. I am paying for your ticket," Kells finished. There was no point complaining, and I was so extremely grateful that he was doing this for me.
"You're just; wow. I genuinely can't believe you would do this for me. Thank you so much. I lo-" I stopped myself. Even though I meant it as a friend I didn't want to say it in case he took it the wrong way.
"Yeah, well. I don't know it was just what I wanted to do for you," He told me
I walked over and hugged him on the chair "Thank you," I said, before giving him a quick kiss on the cheek and walking back into the other room to pack.