Chapter II - Rumors

╣╠

"I'm tired of being what you want me to be

Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface

I don't know what you're expecting of me

Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes."

Numb

Linkin Park

╣╠

Chapter II - Rumors

╣╠

You may never know it, but trees are incredibly nosey

You may never know it, but trees are incredibly nosey. Constantly eavesdropping in on conversations by wandering unsuspecting creatures. Wildfire spreads fast and yet, it doesn't even compare to the spread of gossip.

"Any new information for her majesty?" One of my mother's loyal dwarfs, Remi, hostilely questions a full-grown fir tree in front of him.

The tree begins moving its branches in various positions explaining endless details of little value like a beaver anniversary and the birthday of a young faun.

A slight smirk comes to my face. Not many people had the courage to anger my mother's dwarfs or any dwarfs for that matter. Though this complete waste of time was getting on my nerves, and I wasn't the only one.

"You know what I mean, firewood." Remi spits aggressively, "Anything important."

The trees were known to be resilient of my mother. Which was understandable because my mother took over the land they quite literally lived in. They didn't have anywhere to go. Hiding like many Narnians wasn't really an option as a 17-meter tree.

"Come on, let's just get this over with shall we?" I urge, rolling my eyes.

The trees have helped me keep secrets from my mother for years. In recent years it has become more of a mutual alliance. Before the burning of Loxoly village, some might say we were even friendly. Whether it was a friendship built on pity for me or purely in spite of my mother, I would probably never know. The tree Remi was questioning, named Harlow, was one of the many who sided against my mother.

Harlow turned to me signing in the language of Arbor, native to the trees, "He deserves it."

Benvolio and I were taught by one of the oldest trees in the forest as children. Of course, my mother wouldn't approve of the lessons we snuck into the woods for, so it just became another secret that we kept.

Remi looks at me narrowing his eye, probably wondering if I understood anything the tree said. I just roll my eyes again pretending to have no clue of the tree's message.