Chapter XXIII - For Narnia and the Fallen

╣╠

"Let you slip through my fingers,

but you're stuck in my head."

How Can I Forget

MKTO

╣╠

Chapter XXIII - For Narnia and the Fallen

╣╠

The moment Ashton left everything turned to chaos

The moment Ashton left everything turned to chaos. Peter had thrown himself into training, his own and others. Edmund was practicing for over four hours a day. Learning anything and everything he possibly could. Then the Witch came, making everything worse. Aslan didn't talk much, he kept to himself in his tent. Susan tried to make me feel better but I still felt alone in camp.

Many times I prayed she would come back, to make everything right again. And when she did come back, she was with the wrong side. I searched for an explanation, anything that made sense. I talked to my siblings about it. Susan scolded me, telling me that my judgment was clouded and Peter refused to talk about her. To my surprise, Edmund believed me. He told me of the time Ash and him were kept in the dungeon and how she was much crueler then. Or at least he thought she was cruel until she started taking the blame for his actions. Actions that would eventually ruin the way others looked at him. She took the blame, letting Mr. Tumnus hate her instead of him. Even if she was trying to keep her own reputation, she was helping him.

Edmund, of all people, believed there was still good in her. So I had to. There was still time to turn all of this around, to redeem herself.

But that's the complicated part about time, we never know when it runs out.

As soon as Susan unwrapped her arms from holding me back, I pushed myself out of the woods. I stood conflicted, deciding who's body to check first for any sign of life; Aslan's or Ashton's. Susan went to Aslan's aid so I let my feet guide me to Ashton.

Walking over to her was the most haunting feeling of all time. A person, a friend, that was once so full of character and life, was now lifeless. She had fate set in stone by her own mother. The Witch magic froze her body into the statue form of her last moments. My eyes focused particularly on the dagger embedded in her chest. To think she wasn't much older than me and sacrificed herself for people that barely knew her. For a home that was never welcoming.

"He's gone, Lucy." Susan tells me sadly, "They both are."

Tears rimmed my eyes, as the pain of losing both of them set in.

"We have to tell the others," Susan said, keeping her focus and clear judgment as sharp as usual.

"We can't just leave them!" My voice cracks as I turn to look at her, my eyes straying from Ashton's frozen body for the first time.