Chapter XIX - A Thousand Times Goodnight

╣╠

"Pay attention, I hope that you listen 'cause I let my guard down

Right now I'm completely defenseless. For your eyes only, I'll show you my heart

For when you're lonely and forget who you are."

If I Could Fly

One Direction

╣╠

Chapter XIX - A Thousand Times Goodnight

╣╠

I walk out of camp, wildly searching for Ashton

I walk out of camp, wildly searching for Ashton. I'm shocked to find her easily, standing with her arm crossed in front of my tent, aggravatingly kicking dirt around. I curiously walk over to her, unsure of what I should expect.

"I thought you would be halfway across camp by now," I comment, proceeding with caution.

"I was planning on it but then I realized I don't exactly have anywhere to go since my tent is covered in blood. It was either here, with someone I'm ridiculously mad at, or the woods, potentially filled with my mother's followers. Congrats on being the best of the worse."

"Come on," I offer, walking into my tent and holding the door flap open for her.

She crosses her arms with a scowl, standing her ground to show her unrelenting anger towards me.

I look around, motioning her to realize the setting around us, "You can either be mad at me in here or out there."

She purses her lips, finally accepting my invitation. I follow in behind her, glad to be out of the public eye to talk. She walks to the opposite side of the tent, grimacing at me, waiting for an explanation.

"I am so sorry that I didn't listen to you before. I'm very sorry I believed them over you. And most of all I'm extremely sorry I put you in danger." I confess sincerely. "But I'm not going to apologize for saving your life, Ashton."

I really didn't want her to be mad at me but the only way to battle Ashton's temper is to fight fire with fire. She wasn't used to people fighting equally hard against her.

Her dark scowl turned into an even darker offended glare, getting more furious at me, as I expected, "That's not what I'm mad about, Peter! You manipulated me to get what you wanted! That's-"

I cut her off, sticking to my word, "And honestly, I would do it again!" I admit, stepping towards her so she has to look up at me with flames in her eyes, "You-"

She returns the favor and cuts me off, "Then what makes you so different from my mother?!"

With that, my stomach dropped. I swallowed hard, seeing the flames in her eyes being showered by hurt. She took a step back, no longer shouting at me on her tiptoes.