Chapter XVI - What Happened Yesterday

╣╠

"They don't cancel other plans,

Have conversations with nothing but their eyes.

They don't hear each other's names and forget to concentrate

Hits a nerve and lights you up like dynamite."

Friends Don't

Maddie & Tae

╣╠

Chapter XVI - What Happened Yesterday

╣╠

I woke with the sun, shaking Susan awake as well, we spent half the night researching nightshade in Aslan's old books

I woke with the sun, shaking Susan awake as well, we spent half the night researching nightshade in Aslan's old books. Even my cordial wouldn't work. Since it is it a healer for all living things it would act as a healer for the plant as well, only making the nightshade stronger. After exercising all of our options, Ashton was our only hope.

I know she cared more about Peter than she'd admit to anyone. And he did the same. Not that they would ever confess to being friends at all, let alone anything more. Just the way they talked about each other wasn't common. It wasn't common for Ashton to bow her head to mercilessly hide a redness in her cheeks and a smile tugging at the corner of her lips whenever I mentioned Peter's name. On the contrary, Peter couldn't stop nervously rubbing the back of his neck when he makes secret glances that she fails to see.

Susan and I throw on whatever close we can, rushing to run out of the tent. We find Benvolio awake and running to meet us. He had taken up residence in Ashton's tent where he could be guarded away from the people. Susan thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

Ben, Susan, and I make our ways to Peter's tent with nerves in our stomachs. We nod to each other before pulling the tent flap to reveal the inside. I couldn't stop the smile that came to my face as I see Peter fast asleep with all his normal color back in his face and his rash had already faded. Ashton was kneeling next to his cot, leaning her head on his forearm as their fingers tightly entwined.

"We should go. They probably need their rest." I whisper with a smile, being sure not to wake them up.

I get no response and I turn to see if Ben and Susan are even still there. They both are, with their mouths hanging open.

"Oh, come on," I lightly giggle, pulling them away from the tent.

╣╠