♡ten♡

Play the song. It's Settle Down by The 1975

Brendon pulled into his friend's driveway. His hands trembled and he tears ran down his cheeks.

Why am I feeling this way? he thought. I shouldn't be. I've hated this boy since freshman year. I shouldn't feel sad for him, and I shouldn't feel bad, but I am. What has gotten into my head?

No matter what Brendon kept telling himself to convince his emotions towards Ryan to cease, he knew deep down his true instincts. He knew he had to give Ryan a chance. He knew Ryan was his soulmate. He knew he had to fix his mess.

Brendon shakily reached over to the door handle to get out, but not before noticing the feeling of ink on his skin.

You asshole., it read.

"Fuck," he cursed barely above a whisper, voice cracking. He blinked back newly formed tears and got out of the car. The sun was setting as he closed the car door and knocked on his friend's door.

A woman with strawberry blonde hair opened the door. "Brendon? Is everything alright?" she asked him.

No, I have red eyes and tear stains because I'm happy. Totally not because I ruined any chance I had in being with my soulmate for the rest of our lives. Definitely not the reason.

"Can I," his voice wavered, "can I talk to Patrick?" Brendon asked, wiping his cheeks with his jacket sleeves.

"Of course!" Mrs. Stump nodded. "He's up in his room."

Brendon entered his second home as Mrs. Stump sidestepped out of his way. "Thank you," he mumbled. He walked to the house's stairs he's sure he's trekked one million times and climbed up them. He made his way down the hallway until he reached a door with a variety of posters on it. He knocked on the door and waited for a response.

"One second!" someone called from inside. Brendon heard a laptop's trackpad clicking and a laptop closing before the door was pulled open. "Brendon?"

"Patrick, I-I messed up bad," he blubbered. "I fucked it up and he'll never want to see me ever again and-"

"Woah, woah, woah, come in first," Patrick directed as he pulled Brendon inside of his room. "Okay, now slow down. Tell me what happened."

Brendon took a few deep breaths while nodding. "Okay, so," he started, "I had a date planned with Ryan about an hour ago and-"

"Wait a minute," Patrick interrupted. "You were going on a date with Ryan?"

Brendon nodded again. "He's my-" he hiccupped, "-my soulmate." He looked down at his fingers, waiting for a laugh or a "sucks to be you" thrown his way.

"Your soulmate?" Brendon nodded for what seemed like the millionth time. "You know, I've kind of shipped you two for a while, I just never wanted to tell you."

Brendon looked at Patrick incredulously. "What?"

Patrick gave Brendon a glance that implied that he was stupid. "You two acted like an old married couple, and there was always a spark in either of your eyes when you looked at the other. I couldn't see any real hate. There was no legitimate rivalry. If you asked me, it was like some weird form of love."

"You're kidding," Brendon groaned.

"Definitely not. Anyways, you were saying you had a date planned with him earlier? What happened? Why are you here and not there?"

"Yeah, well, that didn't go according to plan." He gestured towards his disheveled appearance to emphasize how bad the plan went. "When I got to the pizza place where we chose to go-"

"Wait, how did you guys know you were soulmates?"

"To keep it simple, we found out yesterday at Seaman's party. Like I was saying, a hostess led me to an empty booth, except there were red and white tulips and a note on the tabletop. I picked up the note," Brendon let out a sob, "I picked up the note and Ryan wrote something like he thought I could change and how he thought I could give him a second chance and how he was wrong in making those assumptions.

"Fuck, Trick," he cursed, wiping away stray tears. "It makes me so mad at myself because I didn't even know I was late until I read the note. I left the flowers and the note at the restaurant then made my way over here. When I was getting out of my mom's car, he wrote this on my arm."

Brendon took off his jacket and flipped his forearm up so Patrick could see the harsh words that were written in red ink. Patrick looked at Brendon's arm and furrowed his eyebrows, ghosting his fingers over the jarring letters. Patrick sighed and looked back up at Brendon. "I don't know what to tell you." Patrick then pulled out his phone and started scrolling through Instagram.

"What are you-"

"Holy shit," Patrick whispered. "You've got to see this."