CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"I..." I really don't know what to say.

My brain is drawing straight up blanks, and my tongue just continues to trip over itself. I'm also pretty sure that I'm blushing from my head to my toes.

"Cat got your tongue?" Suga asks playfully. Although there's something sultry about the way he utters it, and the way that he approaches me slowly.

Like a cat cornering a mouse.

So I do the only sensible thing that someone who feels like prey under a predators gaze could. I run.

I book it out the door, and down the hall. Down the steps and into the living room. I rush past a startled Kookie before doubling back to grab his hand.

"Kookie, there's something wrong with Suga. I don't know what's gotten into him." I pant due to the effort it's taking to drag the muscle-bound bunny hybrid.

He digs his heel in, eyes wide and blank, as if he hadn't a thought in the world in this moment. "You didnt know that he was going into heat? It started a couple days ago." He tells me, surprise etched into his face.

I will be the first to admit that I have no idea what going into heat details, but I'll also be the first to admit that it sounds... Intimidating.

"We should probably go stay at a hotel," Kookie murmurs softly. "Otherwise he WILL claim you before the week is up. And possibly kill me. Maybe even fuck you on top of my corpse, douchebag seems like the type."

"Kookie!" I exclaim, shocked by his foul language. Though I've come to expect it from Suga, I had hoped that Kookie would be strong willed enough for him not to be influenced by the grumpy cat hybrid.

"No, he's right." Sugar interjects weakly, suddenly standing at the top of the stairs before us. "It isn't safe for you to be around me right now."

Dark and wild, his eyes bore holes into my very soul. With those eyes alone it is almost as if he's daring me to find out what it'd be like.

"I'll take care of you, " they promise darkly. "Make you feel so good."

But of course, I take the cowards way out. I nod briefly to Suga as Kookie heads to the car. "I'll need to grab a few things. When would it be best for us to return?"

"I don't know, " he groans.

He follows me, keeping his distance as I grab this and that. We make it to the front door without incident, but that's where my luck ends.

He grabs me forcefully as I attempt to open the front door, spinning me around and slamming my back to the door with so much strength that all the air is knocked right out of my lungs. I gasp, surprise, fright, and basic carnal desire all fighting for dominance within me. His eyes are burning embers of passion and lust.

I can see it, the way that he is undressing me with his eyes. And when he licks his lips slowly I just about die inside.

"You sure you want to go Hazel?" He asks me seductively. "I can make you feel so good."

I groan, there is a part of me that really, really wants to give in to this. But at the same time, whatever this is between us scares me.

I can feel the heat coming off of his body in waves, rushing over me and sending me headlong into a sort of lust induced haze. I have to get out of here. Now.

So I push him away, heart breaking at the look of utter rejection upon his face. I can't stay, no matter how much I want to. Rushing out of the door is probably one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life.

But I do it.

Kookie is already buckled in when I slide into the drivers seat. It takes me a moment to catch my breath, but when I do I find that Kookies eyes are upon me questioningly.

"Do you even want to leave?" He asks me, stupified.

"I don't know Kookie. I don't know, " I tell him quietly.

And it's the truth. I really don't know. Although, it matters little now. I'm already here, in the car. Instead of inside with Suga. It would take a whole lot more courage than I currently possess to march my butt back through that door. And besides, Kookie seems desperate to be anywhere but here.

Just as I am about to put the car in reverse my cell phone begins to ring. I abandon the clutch in favor of a scooping up my cell and answering the call.

"Hey, " Suga tells me with a voice that sounds even more pained than before. "No matter what I do, no matter how many times I call and beg you to come back, you have to ignore me. Okay?"

"What are you talking about?" I yell, fed up with all of this extra stress out of the blue.

I feel like I'm being kicked out of my own home. There's got to be an easier solution than this.

"Just promise me!" He growls, sending chills down my spine.

"Okay!" I yell. "I promise!"