Chapter 2: Comic-Con Time Machine

My head feels heavy and I rebel against the instinct to open my eyes

My head feels heavy and I rebel against the instinct to open my eyes. The same question keeps dancing around in my brain: What happened last night? I don't remember anything past becoming best friends with the toilet.

Sighing in defeat, I throw my arm over my head in an attempt to block the unpleasant future I know lies ahead of me. I rack my brain for my mental calendar, trying to decide if I have plans that involve sun or people, both of which are in the avoid category with this level 5 hangover. What is today, Sunday?

There is no time to formulate the answer to that question before a bucket of freezing cold water is thrown over my prone body.

I gasp and shoot up. "WHAT THE HELL, GABRIELLE!" Rubbing my eyes does nothing to erase the grogginess, but I continue to attempt anyway.

"No, not Gabrielle. My name is Alvina, and while I'm sure you have questions, the illegality of this situation requires our prompt and sly departure."

Nothing could stop the wide-eyed stare I give to the stunning person in front of me. Her straight, waist length hair is white and looks as if it's been woven with glimmering silver thread. Her eyes are an unusual shade of deep violet, bright with wisdom and life, yet cold. I'll have to ask her where she buys her skin care products, because her creamy skin is flawless and untouched by makeup. Aside from all that, I'm the most struck by the unusual point at the tips of her ears.

As I sit there, mourning my own self esteem, she snaps her fingers in front of my face and says, "Maybe I didn't make myself clear. We need to go, immediately."

"What do you mean, we have to go now?! Go where? I don't even know where I am. I don't know you, and if you think I am running anywhere with the hangover from hell, you're sadly mistaken." Being bossed around isn't something I do well this early in the morning.

She glares at me for a brief moment before shrugging and turning away. "Your decision, your funeral."

Looking around at my surroundings, I realize I don't have the slightest inkling of where I am. If I used deductive reasoning skills, I'd say I'm in a very ornate library. The walls are painted a deep crimson color and the books that line the floor to ceiling shelves have gold lettering etched into their ancient spines. I'd probably appreciate the brilliance of the giant stained glass window, opposite where I'm sitting, if it wasn't providing so much damn light to the room.

Where's my purse? I need my sunglasses. As my hands scan the floor, I notice that I'm sitting in the middle of a venn-diagram. Why someone would ever need to compare and contrast enough information to warrant one this big, the world may never know.

Another thing we may never know is how the hell I got here. The dots are not connecting on how I got here, and I find my mind to be just as blank as when I woke up. Angry shouts and heavy footsteps arouse me from my deep thoughts. "Find them!"